[about American people] - stuck with a sentence

trine_321 2 / 6  
I'm stuck with this sentence in my essay:

[about the American people] Their troubled past has made it difficult to successfully integrate ...

I need something catchy, or semi-catchy as an end to the paragraph, but so far, my best is: the people across the Atlantic. Does USA have any nicknames that I'm unaware of?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

(And I apologize for the delay in getting back to you; I've been stuck in an ice storm without electricity.) That's an interesting question. It's a lot easier to come up with nicknames for specific states than the whole country. You could go with something descriptive, live "Britain's former colonists." Or, if you wanted something lighter, perhaps "Uncle Sam's offspring." (Uncle Sam is a recognized symbol for the U.S. but I added offspring to refer to its people.) You could also use 'children' or, for a slightly critical tone, 'Uncle Sam's errant offspring,' depending on the context.

I hope this helps. If I think of any more, I'll let you know!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP trine_321 2 / 6  
I guess an ice storm is a valid excuse, ha ha. Not the most pleasant thing to be stuck in, is it? I thought the weather in Norway was bad (and cold, very, very cold), but it fades next to your ice storm...

I can't use the 'uncle Sam's offspring', though, because I dont know who uncle Sam is/was. Well, it doesn't matter anyway, I'll just go with 'the people across the Atlantic'. It's not that bad of a sentence, really, I just needed some time to adjust to it.

But thanks anyway, Sarah. I appreciate the effort=)

Home / Essays / [about American people] - stuck with a sentence