This is my anthem essay, I wanna see if it sucks I'm really bad at writing

Bonzoykc 1 / -  
Neil kc
11/3/12
Mr. Herbert
English Lvl 4

Anthem literally Analysts

In the book Anthem, Ayn Rand promotes her ideals of human nature by creating a society in which individualism is a sin. The protagonist, Equality struggles in this world as he questions the belief of collectivism that his government enforces on their people. Equality realizes "To be free, a man must be free of his brothers" it means that he can't succeed in life if he is not independent and different from everyone who is in his society.Equality displays Ayn Rand's belief of egoism by rediscovering electricity and trying to share it with his society, falling in love with liberty and teaching liberty of individualism, and standing up to his oppressive government/ council.

In the world Equality lives it is forbidden for any man to do anything alone with no brothers or sister in attendance to witness or supervise it. Equality blatantly broke this rule when he rediscovered electricity in the tunnel of the old world.In his secret underground tunnel, a symbol of his divergent path in life, Equality eventually learns to harness the powers of electricity. He rejoices, even gloats, over his discovery and the benefit it will give to the community once accepted. In this critical point in the novel, Rand demonstrates that even the impetus for the most revolutionary breakthroughs resides in the ego. But tragically, when Equality presents his invention to the House of Scholars, the Scholars cannot see the truth of the discovery, the profit that lies beyond its individualist origins, and demand the destruction of the newly created "evil" (74). Insulted, Equality takes his creation and escapes to the Uncharted Forest, where he spends the rest of his days. There, he realizes that he did not create this invention "for the good of our [his] brothers," but rather because of his own eagerness to discover (76). In this realization, Equality unlocks another facet of the ego: a desire for self-achievement.

Liberty 5-3000 and Equality love for each other, also promoted Ayn Rand philosophy of human nature and egoism. Liberty came to understand the evils of society's preachings against individualism when she fell in love with Equality. In their old world, Equality and Liberty were not allowed to love each other because it was their duty to love all men equally.Both Equality and Liberty realizes that love is not something to be given equally to all, but a thing to be earned through a person's virtues and strengths, and only in this way would "love" hold any meaning Through individualism love for each other could exist. When Liberty and Equality fled the city and decided to establish a new society, Equality renamed Liberty "Gaea" for her part in the founding of a new world for man, a world with so much more power and potential that its inhabitants would become like gods. Gaea, the Mother Earth in Greek mythology, was the mother of the Titans, who would later parent the gods. Gaea was the powerful force from which everything came; similarly, Liberty was the wife of Equality and from them, their sons, and the friends they recruited together would come a society that was the rebirth of mankind. While Equality has several obvious similarities to Prometheus. According to Greek mythology, Prometheus brought fire to mankind, which illuminated their path and showed man the way toward civilization. Like Prometheus, Equality was able to take man out of the dark by showing the value of egoism and individualism. Both Liberty and Equality displayed Ayn Rand philosophy of nature of man; which held that man has their own free will and are autonomous and independent.

Equality's' ability to escape from the council and his society can be contributed to Ayn rands philopshy of egoism. Equality 7-2521 cannot stand the destruction of the lightbulb(his own creation), so he grabs the light bulb and escapes the council by jumping out of a window. He runs blindly though the city that he lives in, until he collapses and discovers he has some how traveled into the Uncharted Forest, where he supposes he will die alone because no man in his society dares to go in the forest . He realizes, however, that he had been lying to himself, that he did not create the light for his brothers but rather for its own sake.he has discovered that he did it for himself his own glory.He does not regret building the light and pursuing his scientific discoveries, though he wishes he could see the Golden One again.Equality's conflict with the World Council of Scholars forms the central conflict of the story Anthem and comes closest to being the climax of the story, because it is the point at which there is no turning back for Equality, where he is heading into the abyss. His smaller transgressions-preferring International 4-8818, falling in love with the Golden One and speaking to her as a lover, seeking the solitude of the tunnel, and creating the lightbulb-could potentially be forgiven and have not cut Equality 7-2521 off irreparably from his society. Once the World Council rejects the lightbulb, however, all hope of reconciliation vanishes, and Equality 7-2521's path clears. Even though Equality 7-2521 himself does not see the path before him, it is inevitable that he break with society and seek his own way in the Uncharted Forest. Equality again is promoting Ayn rands philosophy of objectivism by show he is ethics and quest knowledge Is different from his brothers and the council. By him disagreeing with the council of his world he was able to to state his own belief, his own ethics, and his desire knowledge. This is the final string to snap that I allowing him to be completely different from his bothers in his society.

Ayn Rand was able to promote her philosophical views of society through Equality, by showing his gradual belief of egoism by rediscovering electricity and trying to share it with his society, falling in love with liberty and teaching liberty of individualism, and standing up to his oppressive government/ council. Ayn. Rand perfectly used the book Anthem to let people know of problems a pure collectivist world can have.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Prompt:
Using what you have learned about Ayn Rand, the author of Anthem, and her philosophical beliefs, write a literary analysis essay that answers the following prompt:

Equality reaches the important realization that "To be free, a man must be free of his brothers". Explain what Equality means by this, citing examples from Anthem.

Include an URCA thesis statement, knowledge of Objectivism, and evidence from the novel in your essay.
weare138 - / 1  
In the book Anthem, Ayn Rand promotes her ideals of human nature by creating a society in which individualism is a sin. The protagonist, Equality struggles in his uniform world as he questions the belief of collectivism which is enforced by the government to restrain its people from individual beliefs/values. Equality realizes "To be free, a man must be free of his brothers" meaning that he can't succeed in life if he is not independent minded ( or you can say he can't truly become 'human' if he does not think on his own and forms his own opinions/values/and beliefs. ) Equality displays Ayn Rand's belief of egoism when he rediscovers electricity, something that had been secretly hidden to help prevent progressiveness, something that could lead to advancement in thought as well. He also tries sharing his discoveries with the rest of society. Equality shows the necessity of individualism when he falls in love with Liberty who he also teaches his new found philosophy. Ayn Rand portrays her attack on dependence and commonality when Equality stands up to his assimilating government, the Council.

Home / Essays / This is my anthem essay, I wanna see if it sucks I'm really bad at writing