I was asked to write an essay to indicate a person who had a significant influence

Akins1004 1 / 1  
Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you and describe that influence.

We all have our own person who has had a significant influence on us. For me the person was my father. It took me a lot of years to realize that the person influencing me the most was him. I have always seen him as my role model to who I have always wanted to be. I see him as the blueprint to what my life should look like.

My father is a pastor. Everything I am today is because of him. I have admired him and he has never let me down. His personality has influenced me too. He is humble and has kept a reputation in a culture where Christians are not accepted. This is a value, which I would like to achieve. Both the young and the old accept him. But the best quality that I find in him is his patience. His character as a Christian is also to be admired. He has a profound relation with God. Growing up I could see and feel the blessings he was provided. He has a very strong faith and trusts the lord. He has inspired the faith of Christ in me too. He has given me an example of what a witness of Christ should look like and I am willing to follow that. As a child I still remember asking my father if it was possible to acquire super powers. He simply answered by saying that pray to God because nothing is impossible in him. At that age his encouragement was enough for me to be motivated in any circumstances.

While studying my father used to leave me alone to study. He used to trust me and let me study on my own. He never forced me into anything. His motive was to make me independent so I could face the world. Whenever I am interested in something he is always there to encourage me. This turned me to be an independent person. He has taught me to trust God and to be obedient. He was strict while taking the lord's name and because of this the respect for God has been in my life ever since. Anyone who has spent time with him will come to enjoy his or her time with him. He enjoys life and is never irritated. He is always thankful.

When I first started to play a musical instrument, I could see my parents who were so proud and at that time I decided that music was the path for me. It was something I enjoyed and my parents were proud of it. Due to my parent's constant encouragement I started to enjoy music even more. I played at the church with the worship team. During that time I was able to know God a lot and the concept of worshiping the savior has been in me ever since. This has awakened a curiosity on how to praise him. My Father awakened this curiosity in me.

Like his character I too want to build my character up. Even to my mother he is a respectable person. The relation that they have is something to admire. He is the motivator and the guide for my mother and me. I have always relished the moments with my father and would like to obtain the same.
madisongreen 2 / 8  
is it a person that you must know personally or a historical figure. If historical figure, think about something that you are really passionate about and maybe look up someone that had a large influence in that area. hopefully you have already heard of the person before so it sounds more natural and not like a history book. if personal you will just have to think of someone that has shaped you as a person.
OP Akins1004 1 / 1  
Thank you Madisongreen, please view the essay below
madisongreen 2 / 8  
I don't see a link to the essay that you want me to read. Try including some kind of link in response to this post or start a new thread including the essay.
thisweirdkid 2 / 10 1  
I've always thought of JK Rowling and Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter as a source of inspiration. Neville's story made an impact on me and the way I perceived my life. Had it not been for Mrs. Rowling, I would have never ventured into reading novels and my writing/reading standard would be way below. You could write about a fictional character or your relatives or even Ash Ketchum from Pokemon. The best thing to do right now, is to come up with a list of people you like, since you only get motivated from the people you admire.

Don't worry. Things will work out.

Here. Check my essay out. The latest one is about the coconut!
joshuapradhan 1 / 2 1  
Can anyone help me to write in this topic of indicating a person who has had a significant influence on me?
I want to write about my parents but the topic says to indicate "a person".
Indeed, the prompt requires you write about a person, so I can understand how wanting to write about both your parents can pose a problem for your topic development. So, the first thing you should keep in mind is not to tell your parents, either of them that you plan to write about them for this essay. Most specially since you will have to choose one parent over the other in order to actually write about a parental influence in this essay.

The next step, is to have you list down the positive traits of your parents that you feel has provided the most influence upon your development. One column for mom and one column for dad. As you work on the list, you will begin to understand and realize who between your parents has the most influence in your life. After you have listed as much positive influences as you can for each one, look the list over. Whoever has the most listed will be the parent that you should write about.

Or, another consideration could be whomever was at your side during a time in your life that you consider pivotal. Who helped you out the most? How did you view this parent before you were helped? How did you perspective of this parent change in your eyes after what happened? Could you consider it a strong, positive influence? If you answer yes to all these questions, then you can write about that time in your life with that particular parent.

Ultimately, the decision about which parent to write about is yours to make. We can only offer our opinion or advice as to how you can approach this essay. Whomever you choose to write about is the right decision for you. We will be here to help you develop your essay as best as we can :-)
joshuapradhan 1 / 2 1  
@vangiespen

I did as you told me to. Thank you .
Joshua, your father is indeed an admirable person. However, you have spoken too much about his personality in the essay. The focus of the essay shifted accidentally from you to your father. The aim of the prompt is to have you discuss how he has influenced your life in a particular manner. While you presented many aspects of interest and influence, you should try to simplify the content of your essay by concentrating on one influence. Try to analyze your relationship with your father and discover what his strongest influence in your life is. By doing that, the focus of your essay will concentrate on just one point and allow the reviewer to gain a particular insight into your father-son relationship.

While I admire your Christian convictions and the strength of that influence in both yours and your father's life, I think that you should choose a less religious option to represent your relationship with him in the essay. Now, now, I absolutely do not have anything against Christians or any other religion for that matter. It is just that by offering a purely religion based discussion of the influence, it would seem that your father's influence upon you does not go beyond the realm of the religious setting. What we need is a real life setting that can depict your personal, and less religious relationship with your father.

Truth be told, the real influence in your essay is not your father but God through your father's representation. Maybe you should think about discussing that abstract idea instead. It will only take a little adjustment of the content of the current essay to redirect it. Honestly, I think you should consider that perspective for your essay. It just seems to make a lot more sense than your discussion about your father and his influence upon you.

However, if you can present a moment in your life when you father was able to perform a strong influence upon you, that is not related to religion, I would rather you discuss that. It is that kind of direct influence that this essay prompt is looking for and hopefully, the kind of response that you can deliver.

Again, the final content of the essay is your choice. If you really want to go with this current draft, then I will help you finalize the content and get it ready for submission. Let me know how you will decide and we will proceed accordingly.

Home / Essays / I was asked to write an essay to indicate a person who had a significant influence