Assess the view that globalisation has had a negative effect on the world.

downtownmafia 1 / -  
Globalisation can be defined as a current phenomenon of technological, economic, political and cultural exchanges - which were bought about by modern communication. Some argue that communicative advancements such as mobile phones, social networking sites and emails have made the world a smaller and condensed version of what it was say a century ago. Although many may view this as a good change, others argue that globalisation has a major negative impact.

Take for example women. Some sociologists argue that women are being marginalised due to globalisation. This is because many of the big companies prefer demanding and sometimes even back breaking work at the start of the production process (e.g. getting raw materials). At this stage, most companies would argue this kind of job is best suited towards a man, which is perhaps why some companies favour men over women. This trend can be seen in many of the third world countries which puts probably millions of women at a disadvantage. Some sociologists would argue the companies knowingly do this, but it's an inevitable affect of trying to meet customers' 'wants and needs'. Although, others could argue that the continuation of jobs needed in these particular countries is a positive effect of globalisation. People have a greater chance of being employed and better themselves.

On the other hand, a variety of different documentaries have shown that the harsh realities of low pay and undesirable working conditions that are due to globalisation.

Another aspect some sociologists argue that globalisation has had a negative impact is all around well being of people. Huge companies such as KFC and McDonalds have spread all around the world (including the developing countries). The people that consume such foods are generally seeing a problem with weight issues as well as health related problems like asthma because of the transportation of food products.

One point Marxists would say about globalisation is the widening gap between the proletariats and bourgeoisie. As companies globally expand, the rich get even richer and the poorer become poorer.

A final point some sociologists may argue that globalisation has had a negative impact on the world is the diminishing numbers of smaller independent businesses. Much bigger companies like Tesco or McDonald's can easily afford to cut prices in local communities. Smaller businesses however cannot afford to do this, which leads to them closing down.

On the contrary, globalisation has allowed an enormous amount of people to stay in contact with people very easily. This happens through ways like travelling and the internet. Since people travel to many different places, this has caused different cultures to fuse together. This can be seen in places such as the UK which has many fused products like food and furniture etc.

Another advantage of globalisation is the increased amount of security available to people. Since the world has become a much closer community, improvements in security is better than ever. Common crimes like internet fraud is better controlled because of the increased awareness.

Also, bigger issues like war and inhumane treatment in countries are less likely to happen due to the interdependency of countries.
jaketheraider92 1 / 2  
Wow!! Your command over English vocabulary is truly brilliant! I couldn't find any errors in your grammar either.

Just make sure who you are targeting your essay at. If that person is not as proficient in English as you are, he might lose the idea you are trying to communicate.
ellenhepden 2 / 9  
Good introductory paragraph, succinct and well written

Instead of your take for example women

Take for example women who are arguably marginalised in our global economy. The heavy labour required in the acquisition and refinement of raw materials results in reports of company's preferring stronger male employees to women. This trend is particularly prevalent in many developing, mineral rich countries. The complex socioeconomics of globalisation results in a tug of war between marginalisation and the increased standards of living available for those who can find work.

Instead of your On the other hand

A variety of different documentaries have shown that low pay and undesirable working conditions are a harsh reality of globalisation. Together these aspects have resulted in globalisation being accused of having a negative impact on the well being of vulnerable people. Globalisation has also allowed huge companies such as KFC and McDonalds to achieve international saturation of their prospective markets and the people that consume their foods are experiencing subsequent health problems.

Instead of your One point Marxists

Marxist ideologists point out that the economic divide between the proletariats and bourgeoisie is expanding and that as companies go global, the rich get even richer and the poor become poorer.

The economic negativity of globalisation can be seen in the diminishing number of smaller independent businesses which cannot compete with larger companies such as Mc Donald's.

Instead of your on the contrary

Comparatively globalisation has allowed an enormous amount of people to stay in contact despite huge geographical distances. People can travel, email and phone each other and this movement can be seen all over the Uk with international foods, furniture and community.

This below paragraph doesn't ring true

Another advantage of globalisation is the increased amount of security available to people. Since the world has become a much closer community, improvements in security is better than ever. Common crimes like internet fraud is better controlled because of the increased awareness. Also, bigger issues like war and inhumane treatment in countries are less likely to happen due to the interdependency of countries

maybe include the other side of the argument as you have very well throughout the rest of the essay and maybe mention the fact that it can be harder to police a global, anonymous community, that a sense of community and citizenship may have diminished and that war, and inhumane treatment is arguably part of the global capitalist society.
Madu410 2 / 6  
This is seriously great! just i think that you need to add more examples.
about vocabulary, as i am not a native speaker, was kind of challenging to follow your thoughts, but overall i think it is good :)

Home / Essays / Assess the view that globalisation has had a negative effect on the world.