A balance between being successful financially vs giving back - where to start?

cbsmallville 4 / 9  
I am trying to write a 1000 word essay about this topic, and I have no idea how to start it, I am having difficulties and I would very much appreciate it if anyone can help me or give me an idea on how to attack this question. thank you

What do you feel is an appropriate balance between being successful financially and the need to serve others by giving back?
navalava 6 / 30  
Well, I guess it would depend on how you feel about it. Suppose you owned a business, and you were getting a profit out of it. At what point, if at all, do you think it would be proper to give to charity? Or do you think that giving to charity is not necessary? That by reinvesting in the business, you are allowing it to flourish and expand, which indirectly helps the poor.

Essentially, I think the question is asking to what lengths do you go to help people. It's not necessarily bad if you think your money would be better utilized if you reinvested in your business and not donated. You just need to express that in as appealing a manner as possible.

There are both types of people in this world. Take Gandhi, for example, who was once a lawyer, traveling first-class, helping companies, etc. But then he gave up all of that to "give back" to the people. Perhaps he could have given back better if he had become a well-known and influential lawyer (since he would have a lot more money to alleviate people's needs), but then that's your opinion. It just shows how you think, that's all.

And if I were you, I wouldn't lie about this kind of thing. I find that when writing such essays, being truthful to yourself improves your writing a lot. If you try to sound like a really devoted charity-kind-of-person when you're not, the paper is not going to sound sincere. If you are the kind of the person who believes that your comfort and financial status is the most important thing, then say it. Of course, the way I said it makes it sound selfish, but I believe you can word that in a way to avoid that effect. Hope this helps!
That's a great discussion, Navaneet. I guess this is a question of how much to keep for yourself verses how much to give away. Should I spend $10,000 on a car, or should I get a car for $1,000 and give the rest to people in poor countries? You have to come to a solid conclusion after contemplating this. When you come to a deep realization, you are ready to write!

Just write your realizations as the topic sentences that begin the paragraphs. Choose the main realization and make it your thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph.

:-)

Home / Essays / A balance between being successful financially vs giving back - where to start?