[Beginner] Essay writing guide, maybe about "Street dogs"

IamNoob 1 / 1  

How to write an essay about Street Dogs?

Hello guys,i want to ask you to give me a guide about basic essay. What should i write for ? Which are the things i should take care of ? For example if i give you a title : "Street Dogs" what would you write ? On which aspects should i be careful.

Thanks :)
birzhanfm 5 / 14  
Very interesting prompt)
Probably you should take care of overall flow of your essay(consistency)
If I had time I would do some research on the overall number of such dogs or number of incidents with those dogs,I mean some intersting facts.

If I faced such prompt on the test, I would tell story how I see more and more street dogs an dumps or story about how one dog bit me or my relative.Or some social aspects of that issue

It's just my approach. I'm not native speaker,so don't take my words as 100% correct)
OP IamNoob 1 / 1  
Hmm, ok, but what is the difference between essay and ordinary text ? I mean,there must be some diference in the writing flow :) Which are the content parts of the essay ? Does it have a start,main part,end ?
birzhanfm 5 / 14  
Being honest I don't know the difference. But i suspect that essay should be specific. For instance ordinary texts usually tell about broad things, while essays tend to concentrate on smaller parts. Also essays usually include your comments, inferentials,pedictions and so on.

Yeah,accoring to my english teachet essay should contain 3 parts:intro,body and conclusion(but so far every writing includes these 3 parts)
Intro:
Your first sentence should be "hook"
You should write some background information.
It also should include the most important sentence in your essay,Thesis statement.
Body:
It includes topic sentence
Some general information.
and 1 sentence long revising part. In other words you shoud make kind of conclusion for each paragraph.
Conclusion.
You should restate your thesis statement.
Provide some of results of your observation or something like that.
In the end you should give strong sentence,which can make prediction or state summary of your essay.In other words your reader shoud be persuaded that you understood what you wrote and are able to make some inferentials

But again this method was taught in non-english school. Maybe American approach differs from that,probably it is more complicated.
Birzhan gave a great explanation! Do you know what he means when he says "hook?" It means the first senence of the essay should grab the reader's attention:

I am like a pack of stray dogs living in the street.

Also... when you give that thesis statement, let it be the main idea of the whole essay. One essay = one big idea.

Each paragraph should express a smaller idea that is related to the big idea.

Express that big idea in both the first and last paragraphs.
Envie 4 / 60  
I would write about abandoned dogs who still struggle to survive in the streets even with the adversities they face. If the essay was supposed to be something about me, I will tie it in with how I also persevere even through hard conditions.

I like the prompt :) But for a prompt like this, I suggest you avoid the classic set up of intro, body, conclusion. This type of an essay calls for more of a prose-styled essay. We don't need your thesis sentence in your intro nor do you need to repeat it in your conclusion. The essay needs to be coherent yet has to have an overall message about something.

Also, this type of a prompt definitely seeks for a great hook sentence in the beginning to grab the readers' attention. It doesn't have to be a mere sentence; it can be 2-3 for that matter.

"The dog whimpered."

I would totally keep reading if you started off with that. Hehe.

Personally, I prefer shorter hooks rather than long sentenced ones. I find them more "Attention-grabbing." Recently, all my first sentences have been really short.
psitutor - / 16  
I would define the topic
Give some background as to why it is important to discuss
Note the popular arguments about it
Tell the reader what to expect in the rest of the paper

Tell them what I told them I was going to
in
three
parts
-writing critically, that is questioning methods and findings or how conclusions were drawn with regards to other literature (opinions).

Write a conclusion: This is what I told you and why

I would only include one quote, if necessary

For 1500 words I would want at least 10 references.

Home / Essays / [Beginner] Essay writing guide, maybe about "Street dogs"