choose a medieval villager - Historical essay

bip 2 / -  
Hello

I am supposed to write an essay in which I need to choose a medieval villager, put myself in his shoes and relive a period of his life.

As it is written in my assignment paper, this essay should be regarded as an "exercise in historical imagination." And although this writing is imaginative it must be also based on historical research.

Now, I am confused about several things:

- how can I write about my life (me as in the medieval villager) using an essay format? what thesis statement can you write when you relive someone's life? How can I write a conclusion? How can I bring a life story to an essay conclusion?

- because I need to place myself in someone else's shoes I would need to write the essay in 1st person and not in 3rd person. From what I know, it is more than recommended to always write an essay in 3rd person. What's the right choice in this case?

The "imaginative" word really confuses me. I wouldn't have any problems in writing a short story or a memoir type of writing, but for the essay I just can't picture out a pattern.

I hope that someone made a sense of what I was trying to say and I hope that someone will be able to help me.

Thank you.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening.

Well, as to the first, you should probably write a narrative essay. This is an essay that tells a story about an event, occurrence, or situation from a participant's point of view. You should choose an event (or create one) and place yourself in the middle of it. Your conclusion would be the the end of the event and how it "turned out."

The point of narration, because this assignment specifies it, should be first person. That doesn't mean it has to be in present tense, just first person. A narrative essay should be written in first person.

Your instructor is requiring you to write a piece of historical fiction. Authors such as Sir Walter Scott have done wonderful things with this genre, and could probably provide you with some great examples of "historical imagination." Making up fictitious situations, characters, and events that take place during historically accurate backdrops.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / choose a medieval villager - Historical essay