Home / Essays   % width NEW!

General Colin Powell; The Best Preparation For Life Or A Career

Heina 5 / 14 4  
The Best Preparation For Life Or A Career Is Not Learning To Be Competitive, But Learning To Be Cooperative.

General Colin Powell, an elder American statesman, said that: "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure". Indeed, the preparation of life is always the most important. However, when mentioning to this, each person has a different way of thinking and leads to different actions. This is one of the ideas: "The best preparation for life or a career is not learning to be competitive, but learning to be cooperative."

In my point of view, I do not completely agree with this idea. As you know, both competition and cooperation have its advantages and disadvantages separately. Especially in today's society, where scientific or technical media have developed dramatically, each country not only cultivate their internal trade but also fit in with the other countries, open their markets and learn from each other's experience. Therefore, for each individual, to live well and achieve success in career, it is important and necessary to have your own a good preparation for life.

The concept of "competition" is common in young people. Our ancestor also have a saying that: "the young are always aggressive". At this age, the young have a good health, a positive spirit and strong desire to make the commitment, to challenge themselves to do whatever they like, they think. Competition in a fair way is not only good but also worth encouraging. In my opinion, competition is a way we can show our passion. For example, in a classroom, in the first semester, you are placed sixth while the top five will be given scholarships. Of course, with all your determination, you will try to learn better to compete with the others to the top of the class in the following semester. Having no spirit of competitive learning means not desire for progress. A student will never be able to be the head of the class if he think he can not do or it is easy to achieve this aim. Once he has a real desire and competitive learning, he may have a chance to occupy the throne.

Futhermore, competition among enterprises is indispensable in business. If a leader declared that: his company did not need to compete with the others, it could mean: this company was gaining monopoly or it was going to bankrupt! Competition is one of the main factors determining the win - lose on the market. A typical example is the "never-ending" competition of two major corporations: Coca Cola and Pepsi. Many decades have passed, two corporations still always take over the other. Beside the product packing or price, both magnates Asa Griggs Candler and Steven Reinemund want to prove their brands "for the quality of life" such as the creation of healthy drinks for dieters: Coke Zero and Pepsi Max. Consequently, would the enterprises survive and develop if there were no competition? Would consumers spend money to buy unknown products with unclear origin? Moreover, the same will happen in other fields as: sports, sciences or letters and arts.

However, a person with excessive awareness of competitivity can not adapt to the modern requirement of the productive assembly line because cooperation is required by our society. Cooperation can greatly reduce the nugatory frictions among people thus create a harmonious environment for individuals. It can also help one better attain his aims. How could one himself attain his success in this chaos? We can see the importance of cooperation in Vietnam, a country with long-standing cultural character and customs, in the old days there was a famous proverb: If a house is divided against itself, that house can not stand . It means: no one is doctorate enough to be generalists. Although he is an expert, he can not know every minuscule corners of knowledge. Individuals with different specilizations are not able to complete a project, but to be cooperative to attain the ultimate goal.

On the other hand, how did you feel when you were chosen last in a game because you were not as "good" as the others? Nowadays, when enrolling in any agency or organization, officers do not only focus on who you are, how talented you are or whether you graduated with excellent degree? They do not hire the best person, they recruit the most suitable one. People appreciate your cooperation with the people around. However, 90 percent of "the suitability" is known as the good cooperation in learning and working. Cooperation helps people to exchange their ideas and be aware of their defaults and mistakes,too. When all the members of a group cooperate, they are able to benefit and promote their company to a higher level. Look at the Statue of Liberty in New York, we can readily see the cooperation between the French and American people. This is a gift of the French to the American people to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the US founding. France is responsible for designing and casting the statue, and the pedestal will be undertaken by the United States. This work marked the inter-continental cooperation and also expressed the warmest friendship between the two countries.

In conclusion, I think competitive and cooperative learning are both very important. Without any one of them, people can not be successful in life or career. Nevertheless in some cases, we should choose which is the most suitable one. If we can manage the two ways of learning well, we will have the best preparation for our bright future.

-----
P/s: I think it is too long but i do know how to cut any idea. Especially i also have a problem of academic writing style. I am very pleased if i 'm received any help from you guys as soon as possible. Thanks you a lot :))

Home / Essays / General Colin Powell; The Best Preparation For Life Or A Career