Development of notation before 1600 AD - advice on how to go about an essay question I have been set

jwilson 1 / -  
Need advice on how I should go about the following essay question:

"Write an essay detailing the development of notation, starting from a point in time of your choice before 1600 AD. You must include at least 2 references as well as indicate a direction of progression through to modern scoring techniques"

Do I simply need to detail the development/ evolution of notation in this question, or do I need to form a thesis/claim and an argument that I then need to back up with evidence.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
Hello, I can help to assist you. This question does not state that you have to have an opinion. You will be writing in an informative way:

1) Discuss how notations developed.
2) Before you discuss the topic, choose a period of time before 1600 AD to begin your discussion.
For example, if you find great sources before 1600 AD, you can begin at that point and state why this is a significant date to begin with.

3) When you include 2 or more sources, you have to discuss its progression until you reach its modern development. Then state what has happened to notations today?

4) The question gives you a clue to research modern day notations because it refers to modern day scoring techniques.

If you are still unsure you can ask an instructor. I hope this helps you!

Home / Essays / Development of notation before 1600 AD - advice on how to go about an essay question I have been set