Education = our place in the social order / Language usage in public - how to start?

Dylan H 1 / -  
I can't seem to get my self organized. My essay is an answer to either one of the following: Option 1. Does our educational system reinforce---or give us the means necessary to surmount---our place in the social order? Option 2. Does the language used in our public discourse help or hinder our ability to communicate effectively about reality?

I can pick either one and I'd rather do what ever is easiest. I found arguments for both sides of both questions and so I just keep getting mixed up and can't figure out what to write. Could anyone give me some ideas or anything. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
mulan - / 1  
I think option 2 will be easier to explain. Option 1 could easly get off topic.
butterbescotch 6 / 41  
I agree with mulan. Option 2 is easier.
Just stick with one point and write a sentence about it. This is like shoveling heavy snow: if you try to move a lot all at once it is overwhelming, but if you just throw a little snow at a time it does not even feel like work. Pay attention to your breathing. Throw a little snow by writing one sentence about the main idea of one of the articles you have read.

Just write a sentence about the main idea of an article, and then you will see where it fits. For example, if you read an article about kids receiving a low-quality education in UNDER-FUNDED public schools in poor neighborhoods while rich kids receive great educations at private schools... which question would that be good for answering.

You can write a whole paragraph about the main idea of an article you skim through. Give a quote, reflect on the idea, explain the main idea, etc... and tell what it means about the answer to the question.

So, really, if you write one good sentence about the main idea of an article, you can turn that sentence into a paragraph of about 100 words. You can get 100 words for every article you skim through! This should only take an hour or two. :-)

Home / Essays / Education = our place in the social order / Language usage in public - how to start?