(expanding on the idea?) - ucf essay question about obstacle or bump

pianogirl246 3 / 20  
One of UCF's essay questions asks to explain the circumstances of a personal or academic obstacle or bump in the road in our life. Do you think they'd except an essay that talks about why there are obstacles for people (only because they allow them to be) and expand on that idea?

Any advice will be appreciated =)
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
- It's not a question.
- *accept
- They could accept any essay since they reserve discretion. It's unlikely they'd view favorably an ignorant statement that all obstacles are avoidable and brought on by people who 'allow' them. You don't know the shit some people bear without a word -- obstacles that would make your knees buckle and heart humble -- so speak for yourself :)
OP pianogirl246 3 / 20  
It is a question and what I think is something I strongly believe in.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
He's just being logically correct because the essay prompt is not in question format but that's irrelevent.

It doesn't matter if you strongly believe in something if that belief is either false, insulting, or immature.
I'm not saying that your belief is this way but from what little information you have provided us, I would say that it is inappropriate to write an essay on this topic because of the reason that Mustafa gave. It would be ok if you just talked about how there were obsticles for YOU (not "people" because generalizing is rarely correct) only because YOU allow them to be.
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
If you know best, why are you here?
If you had the good sense to read beyond a 3rd grade level you'd understand the observation I made (i.e., you cannot assume reasons for the circumstances in the lives of other people, more to the point, people as an entity. It makes you sound like an idiot, which could be gainful if you want to portray yourself in an accurate light).

A good essay does not focus much on other people in any event. You are to mostly and ultimately describe yourself.
Do you think they'd except an essay that talks about why there are obstacles for people (only because they allow them to be) and expand on that idea?

It depends on how you go about it. In one sense, what you have said is quite correct. Most of the people I know face primarily problems of their own making. In fact, they grapple their personal pain to them, clinging to it as if they had mistaken it for a life-preserver. If they simply chose to be free of their problems, they really would be. Recognizing this shows great wisdom, and is commendable.

On the other hand, it could, as others have said, be taken in another sense, as being arrogance and folly. For instance, children who get cancer might reasonably not view the cancer as an obstacle they suffer from only because they allow themselves to be sick. People born to drug-addicted prostitutes or to abusive parents, or to wonderful parents living in a war-zone, all might legitimately view these obstacles as ones that were entirely beyond their control.

The other comments you have received have clearly interpreted what you have said more in the second sense. This could just be because you provide so little to go on, but it points to a potential problem. If you go with this, then you must be sure to explain that you are talking about a particular subset of problems, and that you do not mean to belittle the genuine hardships that people may encounter through no fault of their own.
OP pianogirl246 3 / 20  
Thanks so much!
Yes, I would never think that those hardships are people's fault...I would definitely speak of the little obstacles people face.
I really do understand what some people go through is not their fault. Still undecided as to whether I'm going to use it.

Thanks again =)

Home / Essays / (expanding on the idea?) - ucf essay question about obstacle or bump