"Experiences" - Question about the topic given for my personal statement

fijiancat 1 / -  

an achievement or a lesson, future plans

Hi, the topic provided was "Describe an exceptional achievement and/or lesson learned in your academic or work experience. How would your experiences support your choice of programme(s)? What are your plan(s) upon graduation?"

I feel that "How would your experiences support your choice of programme(s)?" could be interpreted in both ways (1) how did my experiences develop my interest in physiotherapy (which is what I choose to elaborate on in my PS) or (2) how can my past experiences help me to be a competent physiotherapist in terms of adaptability, leadership and teamwork. What do you guys think?
crystlho 5 / 12 2  
Dear Fijiancat,
I think you can do both ways as long as you try to show them your passion and sell youself so that they can see that you are the most suitable candidate for the program. Try to quantify your experience and focus on the link with the programs you want to apply for.

Good luck!
Geralyn, the choice of how to interpret the question depends upon you. You can't ask us how approach the essay because in the end, it is your understanding of the prompt that will create the essay that you will be writing. If you choose to develop your interest in Physiotherapy within the personal statement then that is your personal preference. If you want to explain how your past experience can help you become a competent therapist, then that is your interpretation of the prompt. There are no right or wrong answers to these prompts. It is only the interpretation of the student that will create the presentation of the essay. In this instance, you may be right with your 2 assumptions. How you finally plan to present your response is all up to you. Like I said, the whole instruction is subject to interpretation. Both understandings that you have of the prompt are correct, you just have to choose which version you want to use for your response presentation.

Home / Essays / "Experiences" - Question about the topic given for my personal statement