Expository Writing ... overprotective parents (how to start?)

desirereality 1 / -  
Hi everybody, I need help in expository writting . The topic is Overprotective Parents . This is my first time writtng expository and my english teacher is no help at all . I understand that in EW there is persuasive,discussive and opinonative . Am i suppose to write one of them depends on how to the question is asked or do i choose myself ? And I reallyyyy have no idea how to write overprotective parents . I have bits here and there but not really sure how to start with a thesis statement . Thank you ~
indipollard 1 / 1  
I did a couple of expository essay's last year, and I did quiet well but it was a while ago. However I'm willing to help as much as I can!

With expository essays you need to select a couple of textual examples. Try going to the library and looking for any fact or fiction stories to do with overprotective parents. That includes pieces supporting and not supporting your argument. (What exactly is your topic?)

Here are the links to a couple of articles you could cite or maybe even use as examples:

momaroo.com/725878789/overprotective-parents-and-the-harm-they-can-do- to-their-kids/

dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/over-protective-parents-damaging-k ids/story-e6freuzr-1225911091505

consistent-parenting-advice.com/overprotective-parents.html

The key to expository essay writing is to EXPLORE the ISSUE not the text. You DON'T mention any of your texts in the introduction. Begin by EXPLORING the issue. You need to look at both sides of the argument, for you I'm guessing the positives and negatives of over protective parenting? So you need to come up with about three points. You then explore this three points introducing your textual examples. You then finish with a conclusion and include a quote. The quote needs to be from a notable author. Here are some websites to check for quotes:

great-quotes.com/

quotationspage.com/

brainyquote.com/

quotegarden.com/

Finding a quote can be hard - so keep persisting!

Here is a quick example. It is very simple, and it is more in the help of a layout of an expository essay as opposed to actual points.

INTRO: Over protecting parenting is common in todays society. It can be viewed as both a good and bad parenting style. It is a good parenting style in that the children are protected and little harm will come to them. However, it can be seen as a negative parenting style because the children of over protective parents can suffer from emotional problems . [In the intro, state your signposts. then expand on them, but not too much! You need about three different points -3 signposts- to be stated in your introduction, I can only think of 2 off the top of my head...sorry!]

BP1: It is a good parenting style in that the children are protected and little harm will come to them. (re-word from intro. this is 'signpost 1') [expand on your signpost]. [Now include a QUOTE from one of your sources, don't forget to cite it!] [Finish up by re-stating your signpost in different words]

BP2: It can be seen as a negative parenting style because the children of over protective parents can suffer from emotional problems. [expand on your signpost]. [Now include a QUOTE from one of your sources, don't forget to cite it!] [Finish up by re-stating your signpost in different words]

BP3: your 3rd signpost (to be stated in intro as well) [expand on your signpost]. [Now include a QUOTE from one of your sources, don't forget to cite it!] [Finish up by re-stating your signpost in different words]

I hope this helped with the layout of an expository essay, if you need any more help feel free to ask!! :)

BP4: PERSONAL EXAMPLE. This one is usually quiet hard, you need to think of a personal example relating to the topic. If you really have nothing you could adapt a friends story or make one up, but ensure it's believable! Don't say your personal example is "the time I got in a car accident...". get what I mean?

CONCLUSION: restate your 3 (or more) signposts. include quote!!

Best of Luck!

Home / Essays / Expository Writing ... overprotective parents (how to start?)