First vs Third person answers

MTurner 1 / -  
Hi, I am taking a graduate level course in communications. The following was the assignment

1.Cut and paste the company's website AND its code of ethics
2. Provide a short analysis of the key aspects outlined in the code you chose.
3. Explain why you think these elements are important/relevant to this particular company or industry and
4. Explain, in your personal opinion, why abiding by this code of ethics provides "for society's greater good."

As I turned in my assignment I had points deducted for writing my answers in the first person. As the instructor pointed out, academic work is to be done in the third person.

My question is on technique for writing a "personal opinion" in the third person? How would one phrase a response to the question;

"What color do you think the sky is?" and "Why do you think it is that color?"

Any suggestions?
boussi112 1 / 2  
The color of the sky is blue. It sometimes has different shades of blue. (third person)

I think the color of the sky is blue. I can sometimes see different shades of blue. (first person)

First person involves using words such as "I" or "we"
Second person: "you"
Third person: "he", "she", "it"
academic work is to be done in the third person.

In qualitative studies, the first person perspective is sometimes used as the researcher describes personal experiences of the things being studied. However, in general the work is supposed to he written in that awkward, 3rd person style!

The researcher believes that the sky is blue because of empirical observations in a controlled environment.

Another way to solve the problem is to use the "passive voice."
For the purpose of this paper, it is assumed that the sky is blue because it is filled with blue- raspberry cotton candy.
helenaaa - / 2  
Writing a College Application Essay -- First person or Third person?

I've already applied for my colleges and am about to start writing the required essay. However, I'm at a loss for words. I'm so used to writing in third person, but this essay is supposed to be personal. Is it acceptable, or even encouraged, to be written in first person?

Thank you (:
Helena
afwebb 6 / 17  
Yes, you should write in first person. Most essays are about something you have experienced so it makes sense they be from your perspective. Writing in third person is incredibly risky and I would personally advise against it.

Home / Essays / First vs Third person answers