Good Entrance / Application Essay - how long should it be?

Gidget 1 / -  
I wanted to know, how long do you think a good entrance essay is?
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Wow, that's a fairly broad question! I think it depends on a number of factors. If you are not given any word limit, then I think it depends on what you are putting in your essay. You want to say what you need to say without rambling, and without leaving out relevant information. Were you given a specific prompt to answer? That would provide the focus for your essay. You may be able to say all you need to say in one page, which would be about 300 words, but it really depends on what you are supposed to include and how much you have to say!

Good luck!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
jennc09 4 / 64  
Hello.
If there are no requirements on the college's application for the essay, what would you consider to be a good length for an admissions essay?

Thanks again, Jenn
DueToNoun 1 / 2  
I would say as long as it needs to be. There should be no length for your essay as long as it excels at the guidelines it should meet and is interesting to read.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

I agree; it should be as long as it needs to be to get the job done. You will know while reading it where it gets a little winded or where it needs a little "something more." As long as you remember to stay on track, keep it interesting, and answers the prompt, you will do great.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
jennc09 4 / 64  
Okay. Thank you both. That seems like the right thing to do. Mine is about 600 words and i don't think it's too long or too short. I have just heard that it should be around 500-900 words. Do you think that is true?? Do you think it is true that the college will just put the essay aside if it is too long?? I have heard that somewhere, but i don't know if that's true.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
It really depends on the institution; some will disregard it immediately if it doesn't fall within their posted guidelines; others, as long as it keeps the readers interest, will disregard its length. It really depends on the reader and the institution's procedures. I would say that anywhere between 600 and 900 words is an acceptable length. It is long enough to get a good deal of information through to the audience, but not too long as to lose their attention or take up too much of their time. It's best to say the most in the least amount of space regardless of the occasion.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
drizz040392 - / 2  
How long should the Monclair State University Personal Statement be?

I have a personal statement I am going to get help with from my teachers, and stuff. But I can't find where in the Website they tell me how long they want the personal statement to be. Like how many words?
collegehelp 2 / 11  
Most colleges prefer no more then 500 hundred words. Of course some ask for a minimum of 500 and and 750. So if you really can not find it I would suggest making it 500 because it will be your safest bet. As long as it is well written length should not be a major factor.
drizz040392 - / 2  
my one right now is 541, is that fine?
This is a good excuse to call the admissions office and have a little talk with them. Really, that is the only way to be sure. Good luck!

Home / Essays / Good Entrance / Application Essay - how long should it be?