Need guidance on how to write an essay about effect of taking a gap year before going to university

mdscott88 1 / -  
Hey guys, I am writing an essay on the advantages and disadvantages of taking a gap year before going to university. I haven't written an essay for a few years now and I would like some guidance on how to write an essay outline on this topic. Can you help?
First of all, you need to know what format the outline has to be in. MLA and APA are the most common American college essay formats so it should not be hard to figure out. Templates for the outline of both formats are available online. Don't get confused between the MLA and APA outline formats. Since you have to write about the advantages and disadvantages, you will need to write this essay in a compare and contrast format. Do you need to present your personal point of view also?

Before you write the final outline,just list down your ideas for discussion as it comes to your mind. Then you need to do actual research using reputable sources either online or from your school library, and personal interviews (if applicable). What do you do with the information you gathered? You can cut and paste all the information that you gather in 2 columns in your word document. One for the advantage then the other for the disadvantage. This will be your source of information and in-text citations. Don't forget to note the source of the information because you will need to do in-text citations with proper sourcing within the paper.

Try to include some personal point of views coming from you and other people (one who took a gap year, the other did not take a gap year) in order to bring a personal perspective to the paper. Don't forget to jot down your point of view on the topic just in case you are required to present it also Using the information you gathered, you should be able to create a convincing conclusion at the end of the essay.

Make sure you choose the correct outline and that you outline the topic in the order that you will be discussing it. Do not deviate from the outline or your professor will fail you. Your paragraphs should be composed of 3-5 sentences each , minimum, in order to be considered a complete paragraph. Develop all your points very well in order to create an informative essay. Don't present new ideas in your conclusion. That is against the IBC rules of essay writing. Remember to just restate the thesis, repeat your point of view (if required), and then summarize the important points.

Those are just some of the general essay outline and writing guidelines that you can follow. Your professor should provide you with additional instructions about the format of the page itself.

Home / Essays / Need guidance on how to write an essay about effect of taking a gap year before going to university