Help with Analytical Essay regarding Howard Zinn's A People's History of the US

reesabp 1 / -  
Hi all,

I am supposed to write an analytical essay re: Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. We also are supposed to use hnn.us/articles/1493.html. As well as the attached file.

Below is the prompt:

Analytical Essay:In an analytical essay, evaluate chapters 1-5 of A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. In your response, address the following issues (do not simply list), citing specific examples from the required readings using parenthetical documentation and MLA format. Cite EVERYTHING and don't forget a works cited!

1) Purpose - According to Zinn, what is his main purpose for writing A People's History of the United States? What would you consider to be his thesis?

2)Perspective - How might a person's race and social class affect a person's view of history. How does Zinn address this issue in A People's History of the United States? On page 14 of Why Students Should Study History, Zinn says, "Objectivity is neither possible nor desirable. It's not possible because all history is subjective; all history represents a point of view." Zinn says teachers should give their opinions in class. Do you think this is appropriate in a high school course? Why or why not?

3) Case Study - Find a summary of the Pequot War. (Make sure to cite your source - Wikipedia or other encyclopedias are not valid sources!) Was that source's summary closer to Flynn's or Zinn's summary of the conflict? Explain the similarities and differences.

4) Interpretation - Compare and contrast Zinn's and Flynn's interpretations of the American Revolution. Which one do you agree with more? Why?
5) Critique - What do you think about Howard Zinn's approach to history? What did you like or dislike? What criticism does Flynn put forth of Zinn as a writer? Which one of these historians (Zinn or Flynn) would you rather have as your history teacher? Why? (BUT, still keep your paper in the THIRD PERSON!)

What I am struggle with is that I cannot seem to fit all these points into one cohesive thesis. It has to be a though provoking thesis, and I want to make a good impression on my teacher.

Could anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks!
-Reese
mahgh123 5 / 14 5  
Dear reesabp,

Your analytical essay is relate to GRE? issue/argument?

Please determine your purpose because direction and organize your ideas are so important to who want to revise it/ correct yours.

Nooshin

Home / Essays / Help with Analytical Essay regarding Howard Zinn's A People's History of the US