Help with argumentive essay on Canadians peacekeeping

LinkHeroOfTime 1 / -  
So I have to write an argumentative essay on Canadians peacekeeping in foreign countries (Cyprus, Rwanda, Somalia, Bosnia, Croatia) and I have to argue whether Canadians should or shouldn't be peacekeeping in foreign countries. I have to have 3 main arguments, but I can't think of three solid ones for either yes or no.

Can you give me some ideas for 3 main points for either the yes or no side of the argument?
Roger Bishop - / 13  
LinkHeroOfTime
Argumentative essay on Canadians peacekeeping in foreign countries

Hi Mathew.

While a strong interest in a topic is important, it is not enough. You have to consider what position you can back up with reasoning. It's one thing to have a strong belief, but when shaping an argument you'll have to explain why your belief is reasonable and logical. You have to decide what position you are going to argue and you have to consider such aspects of cost and benefits, cause and effect and comparison and contrasts.

Firstly I recommend that you narrow your focus on what missions you are going to discuss and what you are going to argue. You have three choices to argue these missions have been beneficial, non beneficial or both beneficial and non beneficial. For example what was the main cause for the peace keeping actions in Cyprus, Rwanda, Somalia, Bosnia, Croatia? Would you argue it was to stop ethnic cleansing? If you are going to argue this on what ground are you going to argue it? So the Christians are killing the Moslems in Croatia or the Hutu are killing the Tutsi in Rwanda, so what? Why should we step in the middle and put Canadian lives at risk? Consider Cyprus for example, has there been any benefit gained? If so what and by whom? Has the $ cost to the Canadian tax payer been worth it in the preservation of human life? Have there been any direct or indirect benefits to Canada?

Your essay must consist of three individual but interlinked sections. The introduction which tells your readers what you are going to write about, how you are going to write about in argumentative, cause and effect and so on, and most importantly what potion you are going to take on the argument.

In the body each paragraph must on one and only one aspect of your arguments with the first paragraph being the most important argument, the nest the second most important and so on.

The conclusion syntheses or summarizes the main points of your body and concludes with a prediction by you or you leave your readers with a question to think about. Do not introduce new arguments into the conclusion.

I hope that this helps and please remember to change you line spacing to 1.5 . If I can assist further please contact me. Good luck with this.

Roger Bishop
I have to argue whether Canadians should or shouldn't be peacekeeping in foreign countries.

Sounds like a philosophical research essay!

I have to have 3 main arguments, but I can't think of three solid ones for either yes or no.

The trick is to read 3 articles that each make an argument about the issue. Write about the authors' ideas and evidence. Give a paragraph to each. Have you found any good articles?

Roger, thanks for your great discussion here! You've only been involved for a short time, and you have already made EssayForum a better place.

I hope that this helps and please remember to change you line spacing to 1.5 .

1.5? I like using that, but I think students are usually required to doublespace. What kind of writing style requires 1.5?
Roger Bishop - / 13  
Hi Mathew.

In response. If you are going to write you have to open your mind, nothing is black or white. You can argue that Canada should, or should not become involved in peace keeping.

You indicate that you have to make three arguments supporting or not supporting our ( I am Canadian) peace keeping duties. You have to argue, based on the evidance, yes or no, but your arguments must be based on fact, not opinion. The questions that you have to ask your self and find the evidance for are:

Did the Canadian contribution reduce ethnic cleansing?

Did the Canadian contribution bring a degree of political stability to the region?

Did the Canadian military contribution bring economic benefit and financial stability to the region that is present today?

Did Canada's stock go up in global politics because of what our forces did? Maybe that is why Prime Minister Pearson won the Nobel prize for peace.

Unfortunately I do not know what you are writing in respect to the length of you paper. Do you need to cite with referencing bibliography?

Hope this helps. If not please contact me.
Roger

Home / Essays / Help with argumentive essay on Canadians peacekeeping