Help finding topics for a 2-3 page discriptive story

lil kizzle 1 / -  
My teacher assigned me to write a descriptive story. The only restriction she gave us is that it has to be atleast 2-3 pages. But i cant think of anything to write about that could go on that long. Could someone please help me think of topics? Id really appreciate the help,thanks!!
zowzow 10 / 175  
2-3 pages for a descriptive story will actually be really short if you get a topic going. So don't panic about the length of the paper yet.

Read other papers on the internet to give you ideas or other novels and movies to get an idea of the genre of the story.

Since its a short story, keep the number of characters to a minimum (1 or 2) and establish settings and stuff pretty quickly so you can get onto the body of the story.

Good luck and post your paper here
psitutor - / 16  
How about writing about a dream you had recently? Or about a goal you would like to achieve? Do you have a favorite movie or fairytale?, then you could re-write the plot to suit your characters.

There are story structures that exist across time and cultures: the heroe's journey (leave safe home, fight dragons, bring back treasure), the prodigal child, the forbidden romance...choose one of these as a base.

Once you write up some characters and settings the paper will be almost half written.
Chrome 2 / 9  
Biggest mistake you could make in a short descriptive story is have an over complicated story or plot . My advice is just let the story unfold,describe one thing and then another and just let it flow. Describe how the rose blossoms how its bud flourishes and how it captures rays of the sun. Anything random,just let your mind blow free.

A very good teacher once told me, the main objective of a descriptive piece is to "Paint a picture with words, include sensory imagery,think abstract" This helped me a lot. Ive also stopped using dialogue or more than two characters. I think the more simple, the more beautiful the piece of writing and easier to imagine.

Home / Essays / Help finding topics for a 2-3 page discriptive story