Help on how to start a satire essay on the american dream!

erika17b 1 / 1  
Hello, In school our teacher has made us write a satire. At first I wasn't sure what that was until we talked about it more. It was really hard for me to choose a topic that I would like to write and that I was really into it. So after researching I did find about The American Dream, Any tips on how to write this topic as a satire or what i should add into the satire. All help is needed, thanks!
sanky 1 / 4  
Read a poem Amnesia by Adrinne Rich. It is a good start. If you are not much of a reader than i suggest you watch the move "Citizen Kane". This movie is a minefield and does well to expose the so called "American Dream".

Satire is usually accomplished with the help of a metaphor or conceit. Metaphor must be reductive rather than extensive. For example. if you compare human head with sun then you are basically expanding the value of human head. Then you say my head is like the sun always radiating with energetic idea. But if you compare it with say a football then you are reducing it's value. Then you might say My head is nothing more than a football.

So if you compare American dream with a reductive metaphor you can achieve satire.

I hope this is helpful.
jordifg 2 / 2  
A great place to get examples of satire is "The Onion". Just go to google and type in The Onion and the website will popup. Its a place where they write satire articles about events ranging in a variety of topics.

Hope this helps.

Home / Essays / Help on how to start a satire essay on the american dream!