Help on worldview essay - your thoughts about creation and history of life.

lilmandy 7 / 5  
hi, everyone

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm kinda stuck on this essay.

For our biology class, we have to write a 10-12 page essay which describes, justifies, and explores your beliefs about creation and history of life.

The following questions I have to address:
a) What do I personally believe about creation and the primeval history of Earth and life, and how confident am I in this belief?
b) Why do I hold this belief, with the confidence level described?
i) lay out and discuss scientific data and theories in support your position
ii) discuss data and theories in conflict with your position, and show why you choose to take your position in face of this conflict.
c) What difference does this belief make in broader life and thought how I think of and relate to natural world.

I have to address these points with clarity.

I am not sure how to approach this essay seeing that it is really a part of the grade. I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions or ideas how to tackle this essay.

I would really appreciate it.

Amanda
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It sounds like this essay is really an exploration of the creationism vs. evolution debate. It is interesting that, in a biology essay instruction, the word "belief" comes up several times. However, that is the nature of this controversial debate. Let's look at the questions one at a time:

a) What do I personally believe about creation and the primeval history of Earth and life, and how confident am I in this belief? - You will need to ask yourself, do you believe that all life on Earth evolved from single-celled structures to the complex life of today? Or do you believe that God created the Earth in seven days? Or that the time frames given in the book of Genesis are metaphorical and meant to represent much longer periods, but that the origin of life on Earth was, nonetheless, created by a deity, perhaps the "Intelligence" of a power found in the "Intelligent Design" theory?

b) Why do I hold this belief, with the confidence level described? - Do your beliefs come from scientific study? Religious teachings? Your own personal quest for knowledge?

i) lay out and discuss scientific data and theories in support your position - This is fairly self-explanatory. If you tend towards Intelligent Design, there are some scientists who agree with you, and many who do not. You will need to do some research. There is a lot of information available on Darwinian evolution and other theories.

ii) discuss data and theories in conflict with your position, and show why you choose to take your position in face of this conflict. - This is a continuation of your research, giving the opposition's position.

c) What difference does this belief make in broader life and thought how I think of and relate to natural world. - This is a philosophical question. Does your belief about the origin of life color the rest of your life? (For instance, if a person believes in the literal words of the Bible, their religion is probably a big part of their life.) How do you feel about "nature"? Why?

I hope this helps get you started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP lilmandy 7 / 5  
help on worldview essay 2

hi, everyone

can you help with an introduction for this paper? previously from help on worldview essay.

I would really appreciate it though.

thanks

Amanda
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

You'll want your introduction to state your thesis, so you'll need to decide beforehand what position you are going to take on the topic. That is, you will state your position on creation and the primeval history of Earth and life, and how confident you are that your position is the correct one. For example: "Life on Earth evolved over billions of years, and continues to evolve to this day. While no one can say for sure where life came from, the Big Bang Theory is the one which appears to be the most logical." Of course, you might take a completely different viewpoint.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / Help on worldview essay - your thoughts about creation and history of life.