International Human Rights Law - weaknesses in IHR law and its monitoring machinery

r1991h13 1 / -  
Hello! I have to write an essay on the following question, but I am studying international human rights law as an elective only so I am a little confused. I am wondering if you could try and help to explain how I might go about answering it

The question:

"Despite its early promise, international universal human rights norms have failed to alleviate the suffering and
marginalisation experienced by millions of oppressed people throughout the world. Some of the blame
for this can undoubtedly be laid at the door of weaknesses or limitations in international human rights law and its
monitoring machinery."

Many Thanks!!
Well, what do you think it means? Google this: international universal human rights

You will find the "Declaration of Universal Human Rights," and you'll learn about the history behind it.
It was probably very encouraging when people got together and declared the standards to which we would aspire. Yet, atrocities are still taking place. Saying we will protect human rights is one thing, and actually doing it is another.

Search your library database for words like these: "universal human rights," international, failed, weakness

You'll have to do a lot of searches, but soon you will find one brilliant article that really captures the idea: we said we would protect human rights, but oppression, genocide, and other suffering still occur. It will be an interesting project! Find an article that really interests you, and start by writing about it.

Home / Essays / International Human Rights Law - weaknesses in IHR law and its monitoring machinery