Introduction - What will you do with your one wild and precious life? Turning Point.

Vmarchen 1 / -  
I'm trying to apply to an university and I have to write an essay on the following topic: "What will you do with your one wild and precious life?"

Just wondering if anybody could help me with coming up with ideas the opening paragraph and/or sentence.
Thanks!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

Well, since it's your essay about your life, what do you want to do with it? What career do you want to have? Do you want to travel? What is it that you've always wanted to do? What are your dreams? Your wishes? Start with your most outlandish, most far-fetched dreams and brainstorm from there.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
AmazingLlama - / 1  
Essay about a Turning Point in my life, about how I realized what I was doing wrong

Turning Point Essay
By Daniel Piloyan

Our experiences, interactions and environment all play a significant role in shaping who we are and what eventually becomes each and every single one of us. For many of us though, a single experience is enough to change our entire worldview and how we approach life and the people in it. Whether it is positive or negative in nature, these singular experiences can be enough to completely redefine how we identify ourselves in our environment.

My turning point in this crazy journey we call 'Life' happened but a measly seven months ago. My great grandfather died. I had always remembered him as a happy man, always striving to live life to the fullest, even though he did not always have the physical capabilities to do so. His death struck me as a complete surprise. It led me to think what I was doing with my life. I realized that as time was passing by before my eyes, I couldn't help realize that I was doing nothing but sitting in front of the computer, eyes glued to these little pixels that meant nothing to me. What I should have been doing these past few years of my yet young life was living it to the fullest, while I still had the health and capability to do so. But even though I was given the opportunities to do so, I always made an excuse not to. I always had to watch that one last YouTube video, or finish that last mission on a video game or just flat out didn't want to. Those were all horrible mistakes on my part, because I would have beautiful memories with many different people, but instead, I have memories of me, just sitting there. A couple summers ago, I visited Paris, and instead of enjoying all the culture and beautiful scenery, I opted to spend most of my time watching TV, or playing on my phone. I would never just stop and enjoy what I was doing, but for all I know, I might never be able to do that again.

I now understand that the most important things a person could do in their life is live it to the fullest, seize the day, and live with no regrets, because life is a gift, and we should never take it for granted.
Our experiences, interactions and environment ...

This is true but sounds more like theory stuff. However, I guess the admission guys are not interested in knowing theory. They want to know about you and in this prompt they want to know about a turning point in your life and how you realized what you were doing wrong. Their focus is to understand your character and personality to be sure that you are a right candidate for their degree program and would not drop out :D So, make use of every word and sentence to tell things about you.
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
... I always made an excuse not to.

I think you should narrow this point by giving one-two real-life story. Therefore, your readers are easy to follow what you are saying. But, overall you write well :)

Home / Essays / Introduction - What will you do with your one wild and precious life? Turning Point.