The Jungle - animalism; Analyze the images and description

taeb1n 3 / 8  
HELPP!!

Analyze the images and description of the animals and animalism ( the idea that human beings are merely animals ) in the jungle so farr.. !! :(

basically..its like...how jurgis was compared to a bull right?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Exactly. Pick out areas in the book where Jurgis was either directly or indirectly compared to, described as, or given the characteristics of the bull. Snippets at home, at the slaughterhouse, in his dealings with other people, his mannerisms, his speech, etc. Once you have the examples, you can make inferences about why Upton did this. Were the instances appropriate? Did they help explain the character better? What purpose did giving him animalistic tendencies serve? Perhaps a little bit more obvious, why did Upton choose a bovine animal to illuminate these personality traits?

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP taeb1n 3 / 8  
thanks...i was actualy thinking as well..
would this count ?
in the beginning of the book where jurgis gets a job..the killing of the animals and how its depicted...since its a description of the animals
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I'm not sure the beginning would really be a good fit. Sinclair is describing the environment and the processing of the animal; we are observing the process, he is not giving Jurgis those animalistic properties. Is his temper or his violence animalistic?

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP taeb1n 3 / 8  
but doesnt it work because it says describe the animals ? because its describing how the animals got slaughtered very " visual..yy " haha
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
It does describe what is happening to the animals, but it does not relate to Jurgis or his personality at all; it is merely the operation of slaughtering animals. There is no personification at all, merely description of the process.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP taeb1n 3 / 8  
oh i see thanks alot...

haha on to my next essay topic -_-

Home / Essays / The Jungle - animalism; Analyze the images and description