Krishna,confucius and gilgamesh essay

faryalkhan 1 / 1  
Hello
I am writng essay about krishna,confcius and gilgamesh. I know what i want to write in my body paragraphs and conclusion but i am having a hard time starting my introduction. CAN YOU please give me some feedback about how i should or what to write in my introduction and here is my prompt for the essay.

1. Political and religious leaders, such as Krishna, Achilles, Pericles, David, Confucius or Gilgamesh can sometimes be idealized. Referring to the texts in the course reader, explore at least three of these individuals (from at least two cultural traditions) and identify how their deeds or words may have challenged the values embraced by those to whom these legends were originally addressed. Discuss what the contrast between ruler and ruled that is displayed in these value differences might tell us about social and political stratification in the geographical regions (e.g., Pericles' friendship with his "enemy" Archidamus).

Please write me back about what to write or should i think of writting my introduction and my thesis. Thanks alot
Faryal khan
Why not write your body first? Then you could post it here, and we would know exactly what you needed to introduce, which would make it much easier to help you.
OP faryalkhan 1 / 1  
Hello, here is the prompt of my essay and then i also wrote my essay but can you please check if i answer all the questions in the promt and if my thesis goes with what i m saying and how i can improve my thesis. i REALLY NEED FEEDBACK THANKS.

It is said that history is shaped by great men. Great men are leaders who bring change for others, improve the lives of others by bringing new ideas and theories for the well being of their societies. Most of the world's religions, political system and societies were founded and developed by great leaders such as Krishna, Gilgamesh and Confucius. The societies of these three leaders were located in different parts of the world, but each of them were idealized and taught something influential to their societies about life. Confucius talked about political system and social life, Krishna taught about duties of humans and the strength of the soul and whereas Gilgamesh talked about exterior strength. However, these religious and political leaders had values which were different than their original societies in which they were living and the ruling ways of these leaders affected the communities' social and political stratifications.

The epic of Gilgamesh tells about a hero-king and Gilgamesh is idealized for his power and strength which he shows under different circumstances. In the epic of Gilgamesh, "The great god made his beauty perfect, surpassing all others, terrifying like a great bull" (75). Gilgamesh was a very courageous king and he fought in many battles which weren't possible for others to win. First, he went to kill the evil monster Hambaba, which everyone who entered the cluster forest feared. Also, he seized the Bull of Heaven,

this came down from the skies, in order to protect his cherished citizens. Also, he learned to love from his friend Enkidu and to protect his people.

The values of Gilgamesh original society were that they believed in many gods and asked for help in hard timings. Also kings were given a lot of power and were the "shepherd of his people." Gilgamesh "two third they made him god and one third man" (61). This shows that rulers are given a lot of power and considered superior than other people in that society.

However, Gilgamesh challenged the values of the original society because in the beginning he wasn't good to his people and used his power over others in negative ways. In the epic of Gilgamesh, "No son is left with his father, for Gilgamesh takes them all, yet the kind should be a shepherd to his people. His lust leaves no virgin to her lover, nor the wife of the noble" (62). This shows that even raping girls in that society was wrong to people and to gods. Also kings are the shepherd of their people but Gilgamesh wasn't being fair to his people and respected women. The gods heard the peoples lament and decided to make someone who is equal to Gilgamesh. To change the attitude of Gilgamesh towards his people, the god made Enkidu, who was his equal in strength.

Moreover, When Gilgamesh's friend Enkidu died, Gilgamesh started thinking of death, feared death and went on a long journey to achieve immortality. In the epic of Gilgamesh, "You were given the kingship, such was your destiny, everlasting life was not your destiny" (118). Gilgamesh was given kinship and super power over others because the gods wanted to and made his destiny but he has to die now. This shows that only Gods are immortal and even though, Gilgamesh is a powerful king, he has to die like all other humans and have limited power.

Confucius teaches the highest virtue, ren (benevolence) referring to respect and goodness for the system of social hierarchy and rule for an ideal social and political order. In the analects of Confucius, " Fan chi h asked about benevolence. The Master

said, "Love your fellow men" (251). He taught that harmony begins with in the basic unit of society, which is the family. A son should have respect for his father, wives must

respect their husbands and fathers must guide their family. It starts from the family but this implies to everyone and is beneficial for everyone in the society.

Moreover, Confucius views on government were that every person in the society should have a designated title and carry that title with love and concern for others. Good government consists in letting "the ruler be a ruler, the subject a subject, the father a father, the son a son" (250). He believed that rulers should be benevolent to their people and treat them as a father would treat their son. Confucius said, "Give them enough food, give them enough arms and the common people will have trust in you" (113). It is the ruler's responsibility to give good living of standard, education and rite to their people. Confucius ideas about government conflicted with government system at his time. The political institutions had broken down and were corrupt. Also, people with a lot of power claimed title which they weren't worthy off. These values in ways clash with a desire for equality and mass action and a distrust of authority. If the ruler is not self- displined and is not trustworthy than how can other be good if they don't trust their rulers.

Confucius politically insisted strict social stratification to improve publich order, "contended moral cultivation" and opposed unjust power of rulers. Moreover, Scholars were in the noble classes and further divided commoner workers based on the perceived usefulness of their work. Under the Scholars were farmers because they produced food and artisans who also made useful objects. Also, social stratification in the society is that a son has to be obedient to his father and fathers are above anyone else in the family. The father has to look after the family and fulfill the needs of their family.

Moreoever, In the Bhagvad Gita, Krishna tells the imprtance of duty and how to live in this world. Krishna says, those who do their duty with mind stability , through self-disciples and deattachment , surrender to god with full devotion and wisdom can aciheieve liberation and union with the supreme. Lord krishna says that this is the world of illusion, where people caryy their duty with ego, attachment to worldly things, greed and desires.

Arjuna who is middle of battle against his relatives, stood in confusion and grief because he doesn't want kill and fight against his relatives. Lord krishna convinces Arjuna to go and fight because this is your duty.Lord Krishna says, "Think thou also of thy duty and do not waver. There is no greater good for a warrior than to fight in a righteous war. In death thy glory in heaven, in victory thy glory on earth. Arise therefore, Arjuna, with thy sould ready to fight" (12). However, Arjuna argues with Lord krishna that killing my own relatives will destablize the communites and families for which I am resposinble and the duties toward them. Arjuna says, that even if his relatives are greedy than let them be but I can't kill them and gain the victory. In response to this, Lord krishna says that you are not killing anyone but just doing what a warrior should be doing and that is your duty. Lord krishna explains, "The Eternal in man cannot kill:The Eternal man cannot die. He is never born and he never dies (11). He says that you should carry the fight because you are not killing anyone and the soul never dies.

Moreover, Krishna talks about caste system in the Bhagvad Gita. "The four orders of them arose from me , in justice of their and their works" (23). Every human being fall into any of these four order depnding on their Gunas or qualities, Sattva,Rajas and Tamas. Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaisyas and Sudras are the four orders and their works are different. Krishna says that Bhahmin are righteous, faithful and in self-harmony. The work of Ksyhatriya: "inner fire, a heroic mind , noble leadership and generosity." The works of Vaisyas is tade and agriculture and the work of sudra is service. Krishna says,

that every man should find joy and do their work which is assigned to them. All castes had different fucntion which was essential for the society. Quote.

In conclusion, Krishna, confusius and Gilgamesh were great leader whos deed and values affected their socities greatly. They taughted about different aspect of life which the original socitey didn;t know.

Home / Essays / Krishna,confucius and gilgamesh essay