Life experience is a lesson - Peace Corps Essay 1

ToniLG 1 / -  
Your reasons for wanting to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer; and how these reasons are related to your past experiences and life goals. How you expect to satisfy the Peace Corps 10 Core Expectations (please be specific about which expectations you expect to find most challenging and how you plan to overcome these challenges).

When I first mentioned my interest in joining the Peace Corps to my family, their first reaction was to ask me why and my immediate reply was - because the Peace Corps presents a unique opportunity to better myself. My past experiences have taught me that knowledge is power; that there is always a new perspective to be taught from. I believe joining the Peace Corps will give me that opportunity to learn about a new culture so I have a better view of the world.

I want to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer because I want to help people; I want to be of service to someone who is in need of assistance in any way possible. I want to expand my knowledge in all things and be culturally observant in an adventure that cannot be obtained through a life experience here in the United States. I want to help someone learn that they are powerful and can achieve whatever their heart desires; I want to help someone knowing that my help may change their life for the better.

My mom raised me to know the difference between what I wanted and what I need, I grew up getting everything that I needed at the moment to survive, however, compared to most I have lived a sheltered life. There are people who don't have anything and who need to achieve simple things that I and others take for granted. I have always believed that I am meant for more and I believe the Peace Corps can help me to achieve that - my deep seated need to help people achieve their desires and in helping them I achieve mine.

I expect to satisfy the Peace Corps expectations because I am always committed to everything that I do and I am committed to helping others in any capacity. I am a willing person who loves to learn new and exciting things from whoever is willing to teach me and after learning those new things I will go back and teach others. As with any culture there are rules that must be followed to achieve the desired outcome and I am committed to adhering to those rules in order to represent myself, Peace Corps and the United States of America.

I believe the only expectation that I would find challenging would be by chance living in conditions of hardship. However I plan to overcome this challenge because I realize that in integrating myself into another culture I must come humbly with an open mind willing to step outside of my comfort zone and engage with others, as well as reminding myself that I am here to help not hinder. Every life experience is a lesson in learning more about yourself and I am coming to help better someone else's life with experience from my own; by doing so learning more about myself and the world as a whole.
no need to repeat "first"

When I first mentioned my interest in joining the Peace Corps to my family, their first reaction was to ask me why and ...

Actually, though, it can be even more to-the-point:
When I first mentioned my interest in joining the Peace Corps to my family, their first reaction was to ask me why and my parents asked me why I wanted to join the Peace Corps, my immediate reply was, "because the Peace Corps presents a unique opportunity to better myself."---- but is this really what you said to them? Think back to what you really said to them. Maybe what you really said was even better than this. This does not seem like the way people really talk.

My past experiences have taught me that knowledge is power---- cliche!

opportunity to learn about a new culture so I have a better view of the world. --- too obvious!

Sorry I am being critical, but I think you can dig deeper...
This part is where it gets interesting: between what I wanted and what I need.... This starts to give it a theme, a real personality.

Keep the verb tense consistent: between what I wanted and what I needed...

But do you see what I mean about the difference between making general claims about wanting to better yourself, etc. and a specific concept such as the "difference between what I wanted and what I needed..."--- this is really interesting! So let the whole essay be full of intense, interesting concepts like this one.

:-)

Home / Essays / Life experience is a lesson - Peace Corps Essay 1