The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Book review

ilaugh2 1 / -  
Missing the conclusion.
Could you edit this for me asap? Thanks~
(its actually due in tomorrow)

What (hidden) messages are the writer of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe trying to produce for its audience? Discuss also the techniques used by the writer to show the messages.

Most authors use some type of source when writing a story. The source could be religious, scientific, or something else that is inspiring to them. They may use the source to prove a point or to add meaning to the book. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by Clive Staples Lewis, is a great example. The themes of this story, I believe, are about the basic fundamental of good and evil, and the religion of Christianity.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is only one of seven parts of The Chronicles of Narnia. This adventurous fantasy revolves around four children who enter a magical world by accident. The children, (Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy) arrive in a place call Narnia to find it under the evil rule of the White Witch, the self appointed Queen of Narnia. It has been prophesied that human children will come to Narnia and free it of the Witch's rule. They are destined to fix and bring peace to Narnia and embark on a journey to right the wrongs of the White witch.

One of the themes of this novel is the idea of fundamental battle in life between good and evil. Good is represented by Aslan, a lion who is kind and gentle, a symbol of everything that is good. On the other hand, the White Witch represents evilness with her ill-used magic and unkind personality. The message is here is trying to telling us to be aware of evil as it shows up in many disguise.

The theme in this story I believe talks about Christianity. Each of the seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia addresses one of the seven deadly sins. In the case of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, is the sin of gluttony (misplaced desire of food). The sin occurs when Edmund allows himself to fixate on the Turkish Delight long after he leaves the White Witch. Edmund's consumption of the Turkish Delight may also be a reference to the sin of Adam and Eve, when they ate from the Tree of Knowledge.

There are many allegories in this story and many representations of Christianity. Although God and Christ are never explicitly mentioned, the parallels between Aslan and Christ are very recognizable. Things such as; the cracking of the Stone Table, the role playing of prophecies, the self-sacrifices, the public humiliation before death, the resurrection and the references to Christmas, Adam and Eve are also suggestive of religion.

There was a part in the story where Aslan says this which, in my opinion, is talking about the crucifixion:

"When a man who has done no wrong offers himself in a traitors place, the stone table will crack and death itself shall be denied."

Although this story is steeped in Christian allegory, Lewis tries to make this story universally applicable to the human condition. I believe the writer combines biblical application with fiction to help the youngsters with their struggle to believe how even just one little sin will condemn us to Hell and how Jesus' love for the weakest and smallest person changed the world.

Lewis uses symbolism to make The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe interesting and engaging on several levels. For example, Aslan's death plainly represents Christ's sacrifice and resurrection. The irredeemable evil White Witch represents Satan. The snow that covers Narnia throughout the year is a symbol of death, an indication that Narnia is a cold and bleak place where life is unable to develop properly. Springtime and Christmas, symbolise hope for mankind - with the birth of Christ, we are given the hope of new life - never come to Narnia until the White Witch's defeat.

Lewis uses similar symbolism (similes) to describe the White Witch's character:

"Her face was white-not merely pale, but white like snow, except for her very red mouth. It was a beautiful face in other respects, but proud and cold and stern."

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe presents us with a different perspective on faith, and helps the story of Jesus come to life. It also helped us gain knowledge on the fundamental of basic good and evil.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've written a good essay! I have just a few editing suggestions:

The message is here is trying to telling us to be aware of evil as it shows up in many disguises. (Or, you could also say "guises".)

In the case of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it is the sin of gluttony (misplaced desire of food).

Things such as [omit ;] the cracking of the Stone Table, the role playing of prophecies, the self-sacrifices, the public humiliation before death, the resurrection and the references to Christmas, Adam and Eve are also suggestive of religion.

It also helped us gain knowledge on the fundamentals of basic good and evil.

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Book review