Literary analysis on The Scarlet Letter and how the seven deadly sins are demonstrated.

Airfrm 1 / -  
I am having difficulties with writing, or better yet forming ideas for my literary analysis essay. My thesis is: The Scarlet Letter can be seen as Hawthorne's attempt to demonstrate the evils of the Deadly Sins lust, wrath, envy and pride by the consequences they bring to his characters. The problem I am having is after I start writing, it ends up sounding too much like a book report. I have been working on this for the last 6 days and cannot get past the fact that is isn't what is required. This is very frustrating.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I can help to assist you. I'm sure it might seem quite frustrating if you are trying to convey a certain message to your reader. However, a literary analysis is supposed to help you grasp the meaning behind a particular story. Therefore, there will be certain elements of your writing that will focus exclusively on details of the story. My advice would be to think about what each of the words in your thesis statement truly mean outside of the story. Here are some suggestions to think about:

1) Think about the Purtian's way of life in comparison to modern times.
2) What are the implications of lust, wrath, envy and pride?
3) How does this compare to our era?

If you think about the story and the implications of morality, envy, and pride, then this will help you to begin to write. When you begin brainstorming again, think about the moral of the story. Sometimes when you feel disconnected to your writing, it is good to take a break. I hope this helps you!
Well, Airfrm, the Scarlet letter to read is quiet challenging already and to write an analysis is I guess will turn my world 360 degrees.
However, I believe this pointers will be able to lighten up your senses;

- what is the story all about
- the climax or the story tells us about what?
- what is the whole plot of the story
- if you were to write the ending of the story what will it be
- should you be changing the role of the main character what role will it be
- how does this letter matter to our daily life
- or can we implement anything from the book to our daily life
- In conclusion, should you be the main character, would you do a different game and plot
- if so, how are you going to do it?

This are only a few ideas that will help you in coming up with a strong analysis, when you're done, post it here so we can assist you further.

Home / Essays / Literary analysis on The Scarlet Letter and how the seven deadly sins are demonstrated.