:( I really would love someone to review and help me!My tutor was in a hit an run:'((

brittney1995 1 / -  
Topic: The advantages of being a Captain!

Mariners engage in navigating, designing, manufacturing, shipping and freight services and repairing vessels. In the maritime world, individuals are ranked according to their experience both in theory and in practice. In ascending order are the crew member, engineer, 3rd mate, 2nd mate, 1st mate and then the captain. The captain is the person or officer in command of a ship or similar vessel. This career brings opportunities for travel, to make contributions to one's country and has the potential of 'shattering the glass ceiling'.

One of the advantages of being a captain in the maritime industry is to contribute to The Bahamas. Firstly, it allows one to become a role model for other individuals. Persons can emulate an individual behavior, especially a captain who made history in his country. Instead of the monotonous jobs like teaching and nursing; there will be more persons becoming interested in being a captain. This can be proven when Jonathan Bridgewater Captain of a Navy Seal ship explained that when he came from his first job at sea, he received emails of college graduates admiring his role and aspiring to become as successful as him. In addition, Jonathan Bridgewater wrote in his book 'Between the Walls' that the Former captain Tyler Maine was his role model from the age of 8, and he wanted to sail the ocean and discover new found land just like he did. However, a captain preferably a female captain is one that faces much discrimination because it's a male governing job. When such is a role model for young children, they set positive examples for specifically females to follow and teach them how to make optimistic choices further on in life. Therefore, females can look beyond those social ills and conclude that anything is possible once you have a support system, discipline and dedication. Like the first female astronaut Sally Ride stated in her biography that she aspired to be like Neil Armstrong and didn't stop pursuing her dreams despite criticisms because once one is making money, history and attention; no one opinions matter. Furthermore, Harriet Quimby the first female pilot of the United States book 'Scholars' commented that she was not the brightest, wealthiest nor pretty individual but what she did had was a role model. Art Smith, Korea's first male pilot positive attitude and brave aptitude made Harriet Quimby into the successful individual she is today.

Another contribution a captain to one's country is to become an entrepreneur, catalysts for economic change. With much income coming in, which is between $3,660.60 and $5,995.60 a month, one can now invest some of that money into perhaps an investment like a Maritime institute for classes to be held and maritime expatriates. According to The Maritime Cadet corps Student Handbook of 2012, there are only three teachers currently in the Maritime cadets program, with the sum of six classes and growing; two groups of tenth, eleventh and twelve graders. Also in the junior sailing program, one can volunteer with the children to teach them more about the maritime field and help students build their own sail boats. Instructor James Bennett said in his interview that there is need for volunteer workers to work with children in the sailing program and to assist them with hands-on tasks as well as theoretical tasks. Furthermore, there is one Maritime institute in the Bahamas. With this being said, there is a need for more institution because since August 2011 stated in the Guardian newspaper, the Maritime Industry is one of the fastest careers students are becoming interesting in. Therefore, because of a Maritime college built, volunteering with students; one will become the center of special attention and even wealthier. Stated by the singer Bruno Mars, '' I see my name in shinning lights, a different city every night. The world better prepare . . . '' evidently, great fame and special attention comes from being an entrepreneur.

Another benefit of a captain is the opportunity to travel. Traveling at sea is no cost while working as a captain. While working at sea you are liable to visit Ghana, America, Jamaica, Arabia, Costa Rica and Japan free of charge. A trip from America to Arabia cruising via boat may cost about $2,100. Were as, one can cruise to America and Arabia while working as a captain with no funds required. John Sears stated traveling working as a deckhand was preferred than cruising for leisure because he paid $3800 to go to 4 different countries and went to 32 countries with no expense; instead he was giving a salary. (23). Furthermore, travelling at sea is not only a financial cost, but it is also not a sacrificial cost. Working on board a cruise ship as a captain provides an opportunity for an individual to save there traveling money and use it for another important value like buying a new car, saving for college tuitions and purchasing land. On the other hand, one may have to sacrifice that money for important deeds to have a cruise. Evidently, this can be proven when Lilla Vandon commented being one of the most successful 1st mates in the Eastern Hemisphere, she dreamt of going to Tokyo and saved for years but finally went on her 5th voyage out at sea. However, just recently her mother was diagnosed with a form of cancer and she is looking for the best doctor which requires more money than she gathered.

Additionally, when traveling one has the opportunity to meet new people and is exposed to other cultures. While an individual is working as a captain, one of his duties is to make sure that arriving at a new port is safe and the individuals that are there are friendly and respectful for his crew to communicate with. During this process, long linking friendships are made with others. Tyler Millson said that his life changed when he met Frank Deplache, a man from Ghana who taught him not only to speak some of the African language but also taught him how to make the famous dish 'curry and roti'. Likewise, being a captain may expose you to different cultures. Countries like China, Japan, Britain and Nigeria has beautiful cultures. It is extremely exciting to find out about different landmasses and history because it leaves individuals more open-minded of the world. Former 3rd mate Nick commented that thanks to his job traveling on sea, he got to see the Taj Mahal, Table Mountain, Ha Long Bay, and the Great Wall of China. Every in port experience he had helped to change my life in some way. One are liable able to see the parts of different countries infrastructures that they had reverie about as a child. (3).

Moreover, another advantage of being a captain is the ability to break the glass ceiling. To begin with, the metaphor, 'the glass ceiling' is referred to barriers in the careers of women. A female captain faces much discrimination because it is a social norm for males to dominate in the maritime field particularly a captain. Not more than thirty years ago women could not do certain jobs because they were seen as males oriented. Therefore women of the suffrage movement like Doris Johnson, Mable Walker and Albertha L. Isaacs fought to advance women in male dominated jobs they aspire. Despite the comments made by individuals like 'it's a male thing' and 'a women role is at home with her kids'; or like even Sidney Poitier stated in his article that women had no say in affairs females can 'break the glass ceiling' because there is only a few female captains, others can be the role models for females and can pave the way for those who are scared of being taunted and discriminated from peers. Therefore, this results in special recognition thus impacting countries historically. This can be proven when John Pantolone said that '' Sheila McCurdy has breaking glass ceilings. She served as the first female captain of the Cruising Club of America, a prestigious honor for anyone in the sailing world specifically a female and has awaken other females eyes including his daughters who want to become airline pilots. ''

Additionally, by breaking the glass ceilings, you can help persons become more open-minded to other male oriented careers. When an individual sees that the norm for sex type behaviors has been broken, they are liable to explore the jobs of their dream. Some may be a female captain in the Maritime industry or an engineer since the norm in society has been broken. As a result, more females will be in male fields and services will be taken care of faster, more efficiently and with care. Also, many businesses will grow larger and become lucrative, and more money will go in countries treasury. Jennifer M. Gonholm a former offshore sailor in her book 'Women Need' stated that women are a risk averse. She needs to push them. Now more than ever women need more season women to provide that encouragement, to take risk, to go for it. Women can be a mechanic, pilot, captain or cab driver just like men can because we have the strength, determination and desire. Once a glass ceiling is broken, it stays broken.

In conclusion, the benefits of a captain in the Maritime Industry are to make contributions to one's country, the opportunity to travel and 'breaking the glass ceiling'. The maritime industry is one of the largest and most profitable underground careers which comprises of different career branch like port officer, maritime law and Marine Engineering according to the Ministry of Tourism pamphlet of cruise visitors. Being a captain navigating a cruise ship is far beyond one's expectation, however.
This career brings opportunities for travel, to make contributions to one's country and has the potential of 'shattering the glass ceiling'.

---------- impressive :)

One of the advantages of being a captain in the maritime industry is to contribute to The Bahamas.

------ I guess Bahamas is your country. If so, I wish you make some effort to express your patriotism. For e.g.
One the greatest advantages of being a captain in the maritime industry is that it gives me an opportunity to make my contribution to my country, the Bahamas.

Instead of the monotonous jobs like teaching and nursing;

---------hey.... you are going to offend the teachers and nurses :D After all, some find these occupations are very inspirational and, in my view, all depend on individual perceptions and interest... So, you better put this differently without picking up particular professions;

Instead of the monotonous jobs like teaching and nursing;Because this is a profession that is far from monotonous, there will be more persons becoming interested in being a captain.

------------- this way, everybody's safe :D

However, a captain preferably a female captain is one that faces much discrimination because it's a male governing job.

-------------- this is not presented well and tends to confuse the reader. Better reorganize its order;
However, this is a male governing job and so that female captains would be subject to much discrimination.

Your writing is very impressive. : )

Home / Essays / :( I really would love someone to review and help me!My tutor was in a hit an run:'((