Meaning of "Memo & Articles of association are the constitution of a limited company"

ireland2002 1 / 1  
Hi

I pass my law assignment last year, thanks to your advices.
I'd be appriciated if you could help me out this assignment:

"the memo and articles of association are the constitution of a limited company. discuss the meaning of this statement and the relationship between the 2 documents, including how they control the wayy that a company deals with its shareholders"

what would be the main points that i should concentrate on? and what legislation + cases law are related to it?

Many thanks.

Pham
Well, you need to start by researching what a constitution is and how it works. Then look at what the memo and articles of association are and how they work. Then, you can draw comparisons between the two. I'm afraid I can't really help out with the legislation question, but that's what the Internet is for.
So... this is about the "Memorandum of Association" and "Articles of Association", is that right?

I was just looking on Wikipedia about one of these.. it is not a subject I know about either, but I'm curious now that I read that they are the "constitution" of a company.

Now...how are they like a "constitution"? They control the way a company deals with its shareholders, just as, for example, a national constitution controls the way a government deals with its citizens.

As for the legislation and court cases, it is easy to find examples... there is a little bit here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_of_association

I think your main points should be in sections of the paper where you discuss 1.) the first document, 2.) the second document 3.) their relationship to one another, 3.) Acts and court rulings. That would be a good organization for the paper...

Good luck!! tough subject...

I'm happy to help, but I'm a little unclear as to what exactly you are asking. Natural justice is a concept of legal philosophy used to arrive at a just conclusion applying fundamental principles of fairness. Ultra vires normally refers to actions taken by the officers of a corporation which exceed their legal powers. I'm not clear on what the connection is. Can you please give me more specifics about this particular assignment?
OP ireland2002 1 / 1  
Hi Kevin

Thanks you very much. that helped me.
you guys didn't let me down.

Again Thanks

Home / Essays / Meaning of "Memo & Articles of association are the constitution of a limited company"