A memo to my manager as why my company should or shouldnt go global.

Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Hi

I was asked to write a memo to my manager as why my company should or shouldnt go global.I am an Internatinal student and I have never written a memo in my life so far..So having few problems in writing it .I have few reasons that I have to support the topic are:

ˇ We can improve the sales of our company.
ˇ Our company can purchase, manufacture and distribute computers in higher quantities for a lower cost.
ˇ It can help our firm to acquire relationships and knowledge in different countries.
ˇ We can add revenue sources and growth markets.
ˇ We can build more brand and shareholder value

Can you please guide me in writing a memo with these points.It has to be one page memo.I am having difficulties in writing the memo (how to start the memo,how to state the reasons and how to end it) Can somebody help me with that..greatly appreciate ur help
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Can anybody reply and let me know if u can help me with it
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
Yes, we will reply today. Thanks,

EssayForum.com
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

A business memo needs to be succinct and go straight to the point. Begin with the basics:

From: [for example: Senior Staff]

To: Management

RE: Reasons Supporting XYZ Company's Global Expansion

[You then state the purpose of the memo.] Going global will have several positive aspects for our company. These include [then list the reasons you mentioned above--improving sales, etc.].

Conclude by saying what you want the reader to do. For instance, "Please get back to me with your views on this matter at your earliest convenience" or "I would like to schedule a meeting to discuss this in more depth; please let me know when you are available."

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Thanks a lot Sarah for ur help

I Have another query..Do I need to eloborate on the points?
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Sarah

This is the final memo..Can you please check and advise if it fine

To: Mr. Peter Hawkins, Manager
From: Mrs. Divya Mitta, Assistant Manager
Date: 12/13/2007
Re: Reasons supporting our Company global expansion

Going global will have several positive aspects for our company. Stated below are few reasons

Sales :Our company can expand to different locations of the world and capture the untapped markets, which will help in creating more employment opportunities for the people and company gets cost benefit. By having warehouses and manufacturing units in different locations we can reduce the costs of manufacturing and shipping.

...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Yes, I'd be happy to!

To: Mr. Peter Hawkins, Manager
Date: 12/13/2007
Re: Reasons supporting our company's global expansion

Going global will have several positive aspects for our company. Stated below are a few reasons:

Sales: Our company can expand to different locations of the world and capture the untapped markets, which will help in creating more employment opportunities for the people in those markets and provide a cost benefit to the company. By having warehouses and manufacturing units in different locations we can reduce the costs of manufacturing and shipping.

By placing branch offices all over the world, raw materials can be purchased at a lower price which will in turn lead to reduction in the price of our end product, thereby making our product affordable to a larger segment of [delete "the"] society.

This will also allow us to build partnership or joint ventures with different organizations across the globe, and understand the needs/requirements of different countries. Products can be tailor-made as per the requirements that will result in capturing a larger market.

Knowledge and best practices can be shared across all offices, and [delete "the"] management can focus on improving the top line and the bottom line for the company, instead of taking care of the day to day activities.

Through global expansion, we can build more brand and shareholder value.

I would like to schedule a meeting to discuss this in more depth; please let me know when you are available.

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Hi Sarah

Thanks a lot for ur help. I have an other query

Now my manager has to write a memo to me saying that he doesnt agree with the points that I wrote earlier

I have written a rought draft.Please check and advise.Can you please let me know if I can add anything else.

To: Mrs. Divya Mitta
From: Mr. Peter Hawkins
Date: 12/13/2007
Re: Reply to the memo

Thank you the ideas presented in the memo. I do appreciate the time and effort that you spent in doing your research. However there are a few issues that we need to consider before expanding the business.

- Expanding globally might be an advantage to the company but the company is not financially ready for the expansion. To start new warehouses or manufacturing units needs huge investments

- By expanding our business we might decrease the efficiency of our company.

- Cultural differences present a number of challenges in global environment.

- A frequent change in currencies, internal trade relationships, political and economic instabilities makes global expansion a risky proposition.

- Dealing with varying work ethics and employment policies can be difficult.

- Another major problem that we would face when we expand our business would be the legal differences between countries.

Hence I feel expanding the business at this time may not be a good idea. But do appreciate your help. Please get back to me if you have any further queries
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

For someone who is new to memo writing, you have caught on very quickly! This is excellent! I have just a few editing suggestions for you:

To start new warehouses or manufacturing units will require huge capital investments.

Cultural differences present a number of challenges in a global environment.

Another major problem that we would face when we expand our business would be the legal differences between countries. [You might want to add something like "The potential for exposure to civil or criminal liability would need to be addressed by investing considerable expense in appropriate legal counsel."

Hence, [add comma] I feel expanding the business at this time may not be a good idea, but I do appreciate your help. Please get back to me if you have any further queries. [add period]

Very good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Sarah thank u for tat

But onething i wanted to know if the subject was ok..and do i need to eloborate the points or what i wrote is sufficient.

And also please advise if this statement is correct

Dealing with varying work ethics and employment policies can be difficult. There could be issues like pay discrepancies, expertise of work.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

It appears to me that your memo makes some excellent points. Whether you need to elaborate really depends on the assignment; I don't know how long or detailed your instructor wanted it to be.

Regarding "There could be issues like pay discrepancies, expertise of work." I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "expertise of work" in this sentence. This is something that you might, indeed, want to elaborate on.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
it has to be a one page memo
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

In that case, aside from the statement I mentioned above, you might also want to expand on the one which says, "By expanding our business we might decrease the efficiency of our company." If you could give a couple of examples of how efficiency might be decreased, to support this position, it would be a good idea.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Sarah made few changes to the memo.Can you please check and advise if its good

To: Assistant Manager

From: Mr. Peter Hawkins, Manager

Date: 12/16/2007

Re: Reply to your memo, 12/13/2007

Thank you for the ideas presented in the memo. I appreciate the time and effort that you spent in doing the research. However, there are a few issues that we need to consider before expanding the business.

Expanding globally might be an advantage to the company, but the company is not financially ready for the expansion. Starting new warehouses or manufacturing units will require huge capital investments

By expanding our business we might decrease the efficiency of the company. We might not be able to give the right focus on issues on time at different locations. Lot of time and energy needs to be invested to get people to perform at the same level.

Cultural differences present a number of challenges in a global environment. Dealing with varying work ethics and employment policies can be difficult. There could be issues like pay discrepancies, number of working hours.

A frequent change in currencies, internal trade relationships, political and economic instabilities makes global expansion a risky proposition
Another major problem that we would face when we expand our business would be the legal difference between countries. The potential for exposure to civil or criminal liability would need to addressed by investing considerable expense in appropriate legal counsel.

Hence, I feel that expanding the business at this time may not be a good idea, but I do sincerely appreciate your help.Please get back to me if u have any further queries.
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
sarah, can u please advise...
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think it's coming along well. I have just a few more suggestions for you:

We might not be able to give the right focus on issues on time at different locations. - I'm not exactly sure what you were trying to say here; the sentence is not very clear.

A lot of time and energy needs to be invested to get people to perform at the same level.

There could be issues such as pay discrepancies and the number of working hours.

get back to me if you have any further queries.

Good work!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
what I meant to say is

It would be difficult to manage many branches at once. And if there is any issue in one of the branches we wouldnt be able to deal with it immediately.

Hope this helps.Could you please advise the right way to write the statement
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you said it very well yourself! I'd just change the punctuation a little, like this:

It would be difficult to manage many branches at once, and if there is any issue in one of the branches, we would not be able to deal with it immediately.

Your memo is shaping up nicely!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
Annie19 - / 1  
Hi Fun Bob,
I think when you write a memo in industry or for a class assignment, it is important to have your audience and purpose clearly defined, because this will help you determine what information to include.

Generally memos follow a particular format, although your instructor or company may require you to use alternative formats.
and i saw some sample at top-term-paper-sites.
OP Fun Bob 5 / 17  
Thanks a lot Sarah..

Annie I couldnt find any sample formats in the website mentioned above.

Home / Essays / A memo to my manager as why my company should or shouldnt go global.