What's In A Name (people's names have significance)? Critical essay.

Flybutter 1 / 2  
So, the outline for my first essay is due this Thursday and I haven't even started on it!
Not because I am lazy though, I am stumped!

I have 3 pages of brainstorming but I just can't get going. I need help!

Prompt: In just about every culture, people's names have significance. What about your name? What is it's significance to you, your family, and your community? Write a brief (600-800 words) critical essay about the issues - personal and cultural - surrounding naming.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
names. I would think 3 pages is a lot. maybe just organize into a structured essay :]

lol. let's see... begin with either a general statement about names, maybe something about how names are so important, but how sometimes it may appear that we get our names randomly...< then again, what is YOUR stance on names?> after that, you can say something about naming and the issues around it <thesis. try not to use direct words from the prompt.> Then off to presenting examples or supporting things that you will talk about after.

so... you just writing about first names? or last and middle and other names too>?
OP Flybutter 1 / 2  
I believe we can write about whichever we choose. It is not indicated.

Well, first I should say that this essay comes after in-class discussion/readings about how our names are reflections of our personalities.

Personally, I do not believe that the names we have affect any aspect of our personalities. I believe our personalities are the result of many inborn and environmental factors.

Right now I am trying to form a thesis statement to start my outline but after looking at my brainstorming I still cannot get over that 'hump'. =/

My name is Kimberly - roughly translated to "royal fortress". My last name is Sexton and my middle name is Jo. I have no nicknames, everyone calls me Kim... those who call me Kimmy, they die. =)
OP Flybutter 1 / 2  
Here are a few things I jotted down for use in my outline but I am unsure of how to format everything and even if I am using correct sentences/theories and ideas for an outline.

I personally do not believe that the names we have affect any aspect of our personalities.

I believe our personalities are the result of many inborn and environmental factors.

For some, just having a certain name surely affects at least some aspect of their lives.

Children are taunted in school, jobs opportunities are missed because of the name on a resume.

Although our personalities are not affected by the names we have, our lives certainly are.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
haha. I agree with nick names. I really dislike Jonny*

so a thesis.. along the lines of what you have there at the end.

quite agreeable, and from there you can talk about how names are just additives to a person, and usually not an intrinsic part of people's personalities. I would like to know what you think. Interesting topic btw. for discussion at least, but for an essay, yea, this should be banned. haha. you taking a philosophy class? or is this somehow pertinent to some English topic?

What is its* significance to you, your family, and your community?

Here you can talk about how Kimberly is significant in that it is a name you go by, an address that people have to speech and refer to the individual you. you could also talk about how it is important as it has been the name you have been called your entire life (I assume) and that there are memories that go along with a name. About cultural issues about naming, there are apparent trends about parents hoping their children will be like a model figure and thus name them as such, but really...I agree with you. it's the environment. Great ideas for thought :P

Home / Essays / What's In A Name (people's names have significance)? Critical essay.