Which option should I go with?

mualla 19 / 92 28  

Holt I am stuck in between two options, which do you think I should go with?

This is for Barnard's supplements by the way. I am running out of time and I would really appreciate if you could help me choose between the two. Thank You

Option 1:
--Pick one woman: I can do Helen Keler (the woman who overcame the adversity of being blind and deaf at the same time) or even someone else instead of Katherine Johnson

--A time you majored in unafraid: the time I was thinking about dropping AP Computer Science(which is what I wrote above)

OR

Option 2:
--Pick one woman: I can go with Katherine Johnson instead of Helen Keller
--A time you majored in unafraid: I can write about another time I majored in unafraid.
Hi Mualla, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. I will be catching up on your essays. I am currently swarmed with the number of essays on the board. I'll always get back to you when I can. Now, with regards to the essay choices, I am not sure why you are torn about the choices. At this point, we are going for variety in your essay content so no more computer science or math topics. Go with Helen Keller or this time around. I am assuming that you have a solid reason for choosing her to speak to? I would love to read it. Katherine Johnson is only an option for you if you can manage to discuss something other than math or science or computer science. If you major in the unafraid, the same rules apply. So the discussion regarding a time when you thought of dropping computer science is also out of the equation this time. Pick some other time, post the essay here and let's see if it works. I will be on stand by for you so we can get this over with sooner rather than later. Don't worry, I am not overwhelmed by your essays. I just need to play catch up because of the holiday season activities of my family.
OP mualla 19 / 92 28  
Holt its absolutely not a problem!

So for the "write about a time when you majored in unafraid" what do you think about this one

After several visits to different oral surgeons, I was informed that I needed an immediate surgery because of a tumor in my jaw. Anxiety instantly took over me.

Lying on the foreign bed on the day of my oral surgery, I feared anything that would come after: the potential risks, my appearance afterwards, the recovery period. It was eight-fifty four, six minutes before the surgery. The doctor prepared his materials, the nurses rushed quickly to begin the process and my dad was sent out the door. This is it, I thought.

But in that four minutes before the surgery, I thought about the last ten months. About how I had gone to several doctors with my dad and was informed of the big risks. As I sat there I realized something: yes, anything could happen. In the midst of my fear, I realized I was granted a hard, but unique experience to deal with. This surgery was an opportunity for me to face my fears and stay strong at a young age. My thoughts raced each other and then it all went blank.

My right eye opened up first. "Did the surgery start yet?" I asked the doctor. "It's finished," he said smiling. "You were very brave, young lady." I touched my numb cheek and positioned myself to stand up. None of the risks had been a problem and I felt healthy and strong. I knew then that I had majored in unafraid.

And this one is my Why Barnard supplement..
Coming from a cultural background that limits the role of women in society and as a feminist at heart, I have always wanted to break past cultural barriers. Barnard would be a perfect fit for me to make a difference for women not just in my culture but also globally. The education I will receive at Barnard will help empower me to become a leader in my community and inspire other women to succeed in their respective fields.

Despite society's attitude toward women in STEM fields, I intend on majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science, which are both male-dominated. When I first joined AP Computer Science I was the only girl in my class. However, one of my friends was inspired by me and so she also joined the class. At Barnard, I would like to continue to serve as an inspiration to women and serve as a mentor in the Barnard CS and Math help rooms.

As a Youth member of the Peace Islands Institute, I was exposed to many dialogue programs where people listened to each others viewpoints on issues. There I helped International students through their English classes. By working with and listening to activists at the BCRW, I would like to continue my involvement with such organizations, help the unprivileged, and come up with different ways of thinking to current issues. Barnard is the only school that will help to me grow into a confident woman but also help me to leave a trail for others to follow.
Mualla, you are being lax and panicking. Don't forget the forum rules about one essay per thread. If you choose to panic instead of focusing on getting the essays done, I will not be able to help you. Don't violate the forum rules. That will make your tight schedule even tighter and worse, risk getting you suspended when you need help the most. So I will do the first essay and then you can post the supplement as a new thread.

You need to develop the unafraid part with another paragraph. Discuss how you mastered being unafraid because of the realizations that you had after the operation. Connect each fear that you had prior to the operation with a lesson learned after that helped build your confidence in yourself, in others, and in the fact that there is nothing to fear in the unknown. Rather, the unknown should be embraced as a life changing and career building opportunity. I think that developing the essay more along those lines should result in a clearer representation of how you conquered being afraid of the unknown.
OP mualla 19 / 92 28  

Holt The thing is I already posted both of those in my already existing thread which were both separate. If I did not have those I would not have done so. Either way sorry about that. Please disregard my second post. I wont do it again. And thanks so much for the feedback for the "majored in unafraid" supplement-:)

Holt is it possible for you to delete my second post because I was going to edit out the second portion but am disabled from it .
Sorry, I am only allowed to delete anything myself. I can only post on the thread as well. You will have to contact the admin in order to get them to delete the specific section. Don't worry about it for now. Just post a new thread. The admin will know to delete the second posting in this thread because they are constantly monitoring the site anyway. Please be patient with me as I try to catch up. I think I still have one or two essays from you pending in my list. I am working feverishly to catch up. Please post the revised essay as soon as you can so that I can finalize that one for you and hopefully, help you relax a little bit. Try to just breathe and relax. You won't get far by panicking. I am here to help you and support you. So you will get through this deadline with a companion. Just breathe.

Home / Essays / Which option should I go with?