Why do people commit crimes? (Speculating a cause essay) Help with intro and MIs.

jk17 6 / 9  
After spending a valuable amount of time figuring out what topic to write about for my speculating a cause essay, I finally found one that I am particularly interested in. Why do people commit crimes?

Then, I am stuck on writing the introduction. How should I start this essay? A fact or history about crimes, an anecdote? Any suggestions on main ideas that can make this essay interesting? Thank you.
limegreen12 - / 2  
post some myths. For example, one of the lay theory would expect that most sex murderers are mentally ill but the reality is that they don't differ much from other murderers. I saw this in a book called Sexual Murderers but you can certainly found relevant researches that correct many public myths about crimes and criminals.
ratree 3 / 11  
you can start with a quotation,define crime/criminal,try to elaborat its cause..lastly give a conclusion.hope it will work.
OP jk17 6 / 9  
Thanks guys! I will try my best!
It might be easier for you if you speculate a cause for one person's crime. Do not try to write about ALL crime.
When you write an essay or research paper, it is important to "narrow" the topic a lot so that you can dig very deep and write something meaningful.

If the scope is too broad, it is difficult.

So... how about using the intro to name the crime and criminal and then give a thesis statement that captures, in a single sentence, the main idea of the whole essay.

:-)

Home / Essays / Why do people commit crimes? (Speculating a cause essay) Help with intro and MIs.