"WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE FAVORITISM" - paragraph writing

blue14angelz 1 / 1  
,,hi guyz..need your help! hope you can give me some tips of making a paragraph..i was confused on how to start my paragraph writing..cause eventually i'm not good in writing...

my problem is that my instructor give us an assignment. he told us to make/composed our own paragraph by basing this title "WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE FAVORITISM" using the (7)ways method of an effective paragraph.

thank in advance!!!
zengrz - / 92  
Hi.

You may want to start by talking about your own favorite thing and why you like it, cuz there is a high chance people like their favorite thingz the way you like your favorite thingz.

BTW, what is the "(7)ways method"?

G L~
OP blue14angelz 1 / 1  
that's why i'm confused cause i don't know how to start my paragraph....

1.paragraph development by definition
2.comparison
3.contrast
4.comparison and contrast
5.cause and effect
6.example
7.analogy

the given is that title, now we are supposed to make it into a paragraph form..that's only our idea " why do people have favoritism...

its not just our own experiences but in general...
MakubexD 2 / 7  
Hi friend,

What I know is that you don't have to use all of them since you will have to do at least 3 or more writings... As you know a contrast writing is very different from a cause/effect writing and son on, that's why I think you must ask to your teacher if he wants more than one paragraph or just one... but If I'm wrong , please someone else help him...
What I know is that you don't have to use all of them since you will have to do at least 3 or more writings...

Very good! I agree, and as I tried to make sense of this thread your comments here helped me, so thank you.

Let's forget the 7 ways for a minute and just enjoy the paragraph itself. Let's discuss it simply. It starts with a TOPIC SENTENCE.

Google this: how to write a good topic sentence for a paragraph.

The topic sentence tells the main idea, and the rest of the paragraph gives explanation or examples or quotations, etc.

THAT IS IT! If you learn what a topic sentence is, you will know how to do this.
One paragraph = one idea (and the idea is expressed in the first sentence (i.e. topic sentence) of the paragraph.

Now, write a paragraph by expressing an idea about why people use favoritism. JUST WRITE A TOPIC SENTENCE!

IF you write one sentence about your idea of why people use favoritism, it can become a paragraph when you add sentences for explanation, example, etc.

So...

Step one: write 3 topic sentences.
Step two: for each topic sentence, choose one of the 7 methods.
Step three: look at an example of the method you choose for one of the paragraphs.
Follow the example to write a paragraph in the same way.

Here is an example to get you started.

Example #6:
Topic sentence: People use favoritism because they enjoy expressing their preferences and to not care about fairness. This desire to express a preference is what causes people to want one person to do well while not caring about another person. For example, I worked at a place where my boss had a lot of tattoos. One day, a new employee arrived, and he had a lot of tattoos. My manager and that employee would often go outside to smoke cigarettes while the rest of us did the work. My manager and the new employee both had the same views about many things, and the manager enjoyed being able to use his influence to impress his new employee.

This is an example of #6 but google the others:
How to develop a paragraph by definition
How to develop a paragraph by contrast
...and so on.

:-)

Home / Essays / "WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE FAVORITISM" - paragraph writing