I am planning to transfer to NYU - Common Application supplemental Essays

aparecium321 1 / 4 5  
Hi.

I am planning to transfer to NYU and there is a supplemental essay that asks:

"We would like to know more about your interest in NYU. We are particularly interested in knowing what motivated you to apply to NYU and more specifically, why you have applied or expressed interest in a particular campus, school, college, program, and/or area of study? You may be focused or undecided, or simply open to the options within NYU's global network; regardless, we want to understand - Why NYU?" (400 word maximum).

For this essay is it okay to directly tell my reasons from the start? For example, starting like "Why NYU? There are several reasons. First..." and continue from there. Or do I need to write a story? Also, there is another essay prompt with it that also applies to all other schools I am applying to through the common app asking:

"Please provide a statement that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve" (250-650 words maximum).

For that, can I also directly tell my reasons or do I need to write a story? And if I do need to write a story, how do I incorporate my reasons so that it is clear and not vague? Thank you so much for the help.
fadhilmd25 41 / 75 11  
Dear Aprecium, I would like to help you based on my opinion, feel free to correct me if my opinion is wrong,

Before you write the motivation essay, you must know anything about your interest of NYU, for instance, knowing NYU in general knowledge ( when they established, what is the history of NYU, the information about your degrees (how long will it takes, what interest you specifically in that major, what is the rank of that major among other major in NYU, mention the examples of people who already graduate from there (role models).

When you start your writing, in my opinion, it is better for you to use all those knowledge what I already mention before and correlate with your motivation, so that your essay will show your interest better.

The structure can be like,
1st--> You state your knowledge about NYU as general (including the rank among other university)
2nd--> You state your major based on the knowledge you have known
3rd--> You correlate 1st, 2nd and your motivation why u enter there
4th--> restrenght your essay with the conclusion

I hope it helps your problem, for more information on how to write a good essay, you can refer in any websites.

Best of luck
OP aparecium321 1 / 4 5  
@ fadhilmd25 very helpful. Thank you so much! :)

Home / Essays / I am planning to transfer to NYU - Common Application supplemental Essays