"pressures to be in a relationship" / "gay rights in high school" College Essay Ideas

coeurreign 2 / 45  
Hi,
This is my first time actually posting on this site, however I have stumbled across this site whenever I find myself stressing about college. Anyways, I was hoping to get some feedback on some of the ideas I have about my prompt:

Write in your own words a one-page essay (approximately 300 words) on an issue of local, national, international or personal interest that is important to you.

Idea 1: pressures to be in a relationship- All my friends have their steady boyfriends, yet I'm the odd one out because I prefer to have casual relationships with guys. Why is it important for girls my age (high school girls) to be in a steady relationship? Whatever happened to being independent and not relying on a guy to make you happy?

Idea 2: gay rights in high school- My best friend is gay. We hear about how much civilization has changed and how people are free to be whoever they are. Then why is it that homosexuals still face discrimination in school today? Why is there numerous accounts of gay boys committing suicide because the bullying is too much? Why is it that it's acceptable to be like "that's so gay" or using the F-word as an insult when people learn from a young age that saying the N-word is no longer tolerated? How many young lives have to be lost in order for people to change their views?

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope to read your feedback ;p
koolaid3219 2 / 5  
I much prefer idea 2. Idea 2 is a national issue and extremely relevant with events having taken place so recently and the media trying to put an end to bullying and things of that nature. I think it's fantastic that you even thought of writing that.

Idea 1 just seems like it would be in a teen magazine or Chicken Soup book rather than an essay. No offense ment by that of course :)

Home / Essays / "pressures to be in a relationship" / "gay rights in high school" College Essay Ideas