Pride and Prejudice Essay. Starting a research.

jessikah 1 / -  
Hi I am stuck on my essay for Pride and Prejudice. The topic is discuss the patriarch theme. Can anyone help me to get started? I am need of a thesis or ideas!

Thanks!
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Try thinking about what influence the patriarch theme has on the story. Does it affect all the main characters? In what way does it direct their actions? How does the author use it? What does it signify? What was this theme meant to accomplish? How would the book have been different without it?

I hope this gives you some ideas to get started!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
poizen777 - / 2  
Pride and prejudice essay, how to start it?

How can I start it off?
Topic is:

" To what extent does Elizabeth Bennet ignore social restrictions and conventions in her revolutionary determination to choose her own husband?
Gautama 6 / 133  
The prompt asks "to what extent" which probably means that the essay will be about the measure of how extreme Elizabeth's actions are. If you have read the book you can probably come up with a gut reaction answer to this question. So run with it.

Do some freewrites that talk about what she does specifically and how extreme you think these actions are. Talk about how much she is willing to sacrifice and how many risks she is willing to take, etc.

Scan the freewrites and come up with what your main argument is. Condense that argument down into one sentence and there is your thesis. That should get you started. Post what you come up with and if you need help on an outline or body paragraphs you will know where to find us. :)
Tyler, you should really consider becoming an official contributor to this site -- your advice is always excellent.

Desiree, in addition to following Tyler's advice, you might want to start by doing some research and making a list of what social restrictions and conventions existed at the time the author was writing. After all, until you know that, how can you know which ones Elizabeth ignores? Then, list the ways in which she violates those conventions. That should give you enough for a freewrite or first draft, which you can then post here for more feedback.
poizen777 - / 2  
Thanks guys, started with my list ...
HoodDee - / 1  
How should I start Pride and Prejudice essay?

The topic is *Compare the relationship of Elizabeth and Darcy with that of Jane and Bingley*

Im having a hard time starting it hope someone can help. I want it to be to the point but having a hard keeping it on the point.
amyk8525 1 / 2  
Jane & Bingley's relationship is more typical than Elizabeth & Darcy's.
They liked each other at first sight, had a misunderstanding, but reconciles(?) later on.

On the other hand, Elizabeth & Darcy's initial relationship was not so great due to their pride & prejudice.
Still, they learn to understand each other and fell in love.
Both Elizabeth and Darcy maturized as a person.

Hope this helped!

Home / Essays / Pride and Prejudice Essay. Starting a research.