Question on "additional infomation" on essay application

REJECTED 2 / 3  
I'm an interantional applicant. Normally, for every college, there will be a section you can put addtional info. Some say "you can explain you grade, scores", some don't encourage "another essay or writing sample".

Should I respond it in a conversation-like style? Starting like "I really want to talk more about my ..." Or should I just put a good essay (maybe a halirious one)? Will it bother the adcom since they will go thru tons of essays?
A humorous essay, if done well, would be appropriate. A narrative essay that tells the reviewers something personal about you would work too. I'd avoid the conversational tone you mention though, as that tends to be wordy, something you can ill afford in most application essays, which usually have limited word counts.
dizzydaydreams 5 / 26  
Additional Information Common App

What is everyone putting in the Additional Information section? if anything at all? im between a few ideas...theyre all completed...but im just really running out of time...soooo any feedback?
ericpark 2 / 9  
Just a different circumstance that many individuals may not know. Such as raising a younger sibling or working all the time. There are many thing the application cannot reveal about yourself that maybe substantial. Hoped that helped!

If you possibly have the time to look over my essay that would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one!
Katsch 4 / 63  
I wouldn't really write too much in there unless it's to explain something significant, like you got cancer junior year and had to miss months of school.

If you're thinking about adding another piece of writing, some type of essay, I would advise against it. Adcoms do get tired of reading.

However, another option is to attach a resume or activity list to expand on your extracurriculars, I know quite a few people at my school are doing that.
collegehelp 2 / 11  
Would this be a bad thing to put in the BU additional Info?

I am fully aware that both my grades and my portfolio may not be up to par with that of other incoming freshman but I feel that by attending BU I will have an opportunity to learn. Not only learn but hone my art skills in the field of graphic design. What is college if not an opportunity to learn, and improve ones self?

My gpa is 3. something and my SAT was 1670. So my chances of getting into the graphic design program are meh. Would adding this help or hurt me under the additional info? I feel like it might be bad since it seems i am doubting myself. But it also makes me seem like I want to strive to become better.
corsican 1 / 1  
I wouldn't put it... it sounds like you're making excuses.

Maybe try rewording it? Don't say "not up to par" etc

Well, of course, it will depend in part on what you have and have not covered already on the application. Anything you can tell the Committee about yourself that is relevant to what makes you a good candidate for their school will help you. For more information about what's important in a grad school admissions essay, have a look at this article: essayforum.com/graduate-4/admission-projects-beat-odds-165/
collegehelp 2 / 11  
exactly My thinking. To be honest I know I probably wont get in but my parents keep pushing me so its whatever.
ishterz 2 / 7  
Title/additional information/letter - queries about the common app essays

Hi everyone,I just have a few questions to ask regarding the essays and activities section

do we have a title for our personal essay that we chose?
what sort of stuff do we put in the additional information section?
what do we fill in the when did u participate in this activity in the activity section ?

also,i have recommendation letter at the place I did my internship ,how and where can I send that to universities?

thanks
hendhawks 2 / 5  
also,i have recommendaton letter at the place I did myinternship ,how and where can I send that to universities?

usually university's well have their own layout and certain questions for a recommendation letter. Please use their formats. With my recommendation letters i handed the form to my teaches with an envelope with the university address and a post stamp, and asked them to fill the form out and send it.
ishterz 2 / 7  
Can't I send them a recommendation letter besides the letters of my counselor and teachers? I have a recommendation letter from the director of the company I interned for.Is it possible for me to put that up in the additional information section?
Hi, I'm afraid anything I say in response to your questions might be irresponsible, because it is not good for you to act according to my ideas when you could act according to the guidance of the people who will actually be scrutinizing your essay. I hope you get a lot of good insight from people here, but if I were you I would invest a lot of time in making phone calls to talk to the people involved in the schools to which you are applying. Good luck!!

I think you should indeed be able to include your letter of rec from the director. I hope the people you speak to on the phone are helpful and responsive.

Home / Essays / Question on "additional infomation" on essay application