Question about SOP instructions: "pursuing graduate study at this time"

Hiddengrace 6 / 118 68  
I know it's silly, and I'm also not sure if this is in the right place.

I've come across this a few times in my grad school apps and I'm just not sure what it's asking. Is it absolutely necessary to differentiate between why I'm pursuing graduate studies and why I'm pursuing it at this specific time (now)? The instructions say that I "may mention additional reasons for deciding to pursue graduate study at this time," and I'd like to do that since there are only 2 other things they ask to discuss. I mean, the real answer is that I want to go into the profession but never had the drive and dedication to do it before due to health and mental health issues (and general laziness/ procrastination)- but I want to stay away from saying that as I feel like it might be a reason to reject me.

I kind of feel like this is my last chance/ opportunity to apply and go to grad school. Is it okay to say that in some way?

Thanks in advance for responding. Please feel free to move this to the appropriate category if needed.
Katheryn, I definitely understand where you're coming from.
The confusion is actually caused by how you see the question, like how you interpret it
and the way it should be approached.

Let me try to help and explain it in a way the will enable you to come up with a good essay.

Now, the prompt is all about the timely manner in taking graduate study.
It's simply taking the question, "Why do you think it's the right time to pursue graduate studies?".
The goal of the prompt is to see whether you are fully prepared to take on the challenge and give
your full focus and attention to the field of your choice.
How to properly approach your essay?, start by writing why you choose this field of study, highlight
the reasons of you choosing to continue you studies and why do you think this is the right time
to continue your studies.

I hope this helps and I wish to read your essay soon. Best of luck and should you need further assistance
do let us know and we will be here for you.

Home / Essays / Question about SOP instructions: "pursuing graduate study at this time"