References FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP

hedylt 2 / 1  
Hi everyone, I'm applying Chevening Scholarship that requires 2 referees. I got one from my former employers who I worked with in 2 years and another one should be a professor in university. My problem is that I haven't kept in touch with them for more than 3 years now and actually I wasn't that close with them so I'm wondering if it's possible to have a reference from my regular client? She is a part-time lecturer at National University of Singapore.

Many thanks for your advice.
Hi Hedy, for the employer, you need to use your current employer because the person will need to attest to your leadership and influencing abilities along with the strength of your character and any other reasons that might be able to help convince the reviewer that you are a good bet for the scholarship. If your referee comes from a job 2 years ago, it may not carry the same influence with the reviewer as the work relationship is not as recent as it should be. Your current employer would be best or your most current client in the case of a freelance worker.

As for the other referee, you may use your regular client. There is nothing in the Chevening rules that indicate you need to have one referee from each field. You may use a second reference from anyone who has known you in a professional, educational, supervisory, voluntary, or religious capacity. Rather than presenting 2 professional references, you should try to find a different second referee. That is because you need to have the person discuss your personality on a professional and social level.

I would suggest someone who knows you in a voluntary capacity would work just fine. A voluntary capacity means the person knows you in a civic manner (e.g. community service or non-government organization, a volunteer organization you are affiliated with) who can respond to the referee questions as indicted by the online Chevening referee form. The second referee should address your personal, intellectual, and interpersonal qualities. However both of the referees need to be able to provide evidence that you will be capable of completing the rigorous demands of studying in the UK.
OP hedylt 2 / 1  
Hi Holt! The employer I mentioned is actually an operation manager in my last company that I just resigned 4 months ago. So I think it would be fine too. And my regular client is who booked tour with me (I'm working in travel agency) several times and even, recommended many other people to me. So I trust this is also a plus point. Thanks for all your useful information and advice :)

Home / Essays / References FOR CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP