Essay on not regretting things - how to start?

neen4th 1 / -  
hey i am trying to write and essay on not regretting things and looking back on situations from life and learning from then, i can't quite start it
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Those first few sentences are usually the hardest, because there are so many ways you could approach it. One technique that is usually very effective is to start with a personal story, jumping right in to the action. For example: "When I opened that drawer, my divorce decree was the last thing I expected to see. Yet, there it was, staring up at me, boldly declaring the end of something that was supposed to last forever. I realized, in that moment, that I had a choice. I could consider that stark, legal document to be a monument to failure--or an open doorway to new possibilities."

That opening would provide a good launching pad for a discussion of learning from life's lessons and not dwelling on regrets. See if you can think of a similar scene to start with and go from there. I'll be happy to help you with editing once you have a rough draft.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
Andreyknure - / 5  
I would recommend you to use examples described in "How to stop worrying and start living" book by Dale Carnegie. A lot of useful information can be found in this book! This author gives you a lot of examples, which can really help you to start!

Andrey
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Thanks, Andrey!

Sarah, EssayForum.com
sarahmk 22 / 55  
This may sound weird, but sometimes starting an essay with a powerful quote...really gives the essay a good introduction, and makes the reader want to read on.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Very good advice!

Sarah, EssayForum.com
garima - / 1  
hey sarah!i've got to begin my essay with "IF ONLY I HAD SPOKEN THE TRUTH..."PLEEEEEAAAAASSSEE TELL ME WHAT ALL CAN I WRITE??????????IF THERE IS ALREADY AN ESSAY BASED ON THIS PLS LET ME KNOW.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I really like this kind of assignment, because it gives you a lot of creative freedom. If it is supposed to be something that actually happened in your life, think of a time when you were not entirely truthful (haven't we all had those moments?) and how it turned out. If it does not have to be auto-biographical and you can just make something up, you have even more leeway. If the essay is on not regretting things, then I suppose there will be a lesson at the end about how, even though you did not tell the truth, you decided not to have regrets about it, because regret can be destructive.

If I were going to write it, I might take this slant:
If only I had spoken the truth ... volunteering for that committee was the last thing on Earth I wanted to do. But I said, "Oh, no, I don't mind ..." and then I was stuck.

Then I'd go on to tell about how whatever work the committee was for turned out to be a good learning experience, even if it was frustrating and a lot of trouble. And I'd end by saying something like "I no longer regret telling that little white lie. I did not want to do the work I said I would do, but the knowledge I gained more than made up for the trouble I went through."

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / Essay on not regretting things - how to start?