Research - some ship's history, and accounts of its sinking

pbeck 1 / -  
Help with writing - So much information I'm unsure where to start
I am unsure if this a proper forum to pose this question, but have hopes that someone here may be able to provide me a little advise or guidance on how to proceed. I am currently writing my first large research paper (more than 5 pages) and have come to a point in my writing that I am unsure how to proceed.

plan for research paper about a shipwreck that has been found

The paper focuses on a specific shipwreck that has been found, and if it is or is not the historic ship that those working on the project claim it to be. I have researched for weeks and crafted what I believe to be a very good introduction and have given a lot background information for the reader to understand the ships history, and accounts of its sinking. Now I have pages of information regarding artifacts, excavation methods, and site analysis - but have no clue how to present it. I feel if I go down "the list" naming off the most specific artifacts found and why they are believed to support the theory that the ship is a historic find that I will not only lose the reader, but will not be making an argument for or against the validation of the site. This would simply be restating information. If I gloss over the evidence, then I will not have a strong case to back up my theory.

I have struggled with this for almost two weeks, and have not been able to determine what I should do. Because I am an online student (at a reputable state university) I do not have all of the resources a traditional student has. I have a matter of days before the paper is due and am very worried.

How do you go about presenting dry, factual evidence in a manner that does not make it sound like you are bias? And because it is a term paper with requires that I answer a question, is it okay that I have a bit of bias as long as I present information from the "other side".

If this is not the proper place to list this sort of question, please remove the post and forgive me.

I thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
Pam, just as with the story of the Titanic, find the backstory about the shipwreck and its cargo. What was the most prized possession that the ship was transporting at the time? What is the fabled story behind the item? Make that one of the primary focuses of the research. In order to create an interesting research paper, you need to find out interesting facts about the ship and then spin those into tales that will hook the reader in. Just like the fabled "unsinkable" Titanic and the fact that it did not have enough life boats to go around. Or the massive amount of jewels and personal possessions that went down with the ship, which were owned by notable people of the time. If you want to learn how to make your paper more interesting, I suggest that you watch the Titanic and Luisitania documentaries on youtube. Those documentaries are based on actual research so you might be able to pick up a number of pointers as to how to make your paper more interesting and what stories you might be able to use to hook or reel in the reader to finish reading your research.

Home / Essays / Research - some ship's history, and accounts of its sinking