Rogerian Argument essay on "moonvertising?"

21mm 1 / -  
Hi, I am trying to construct a Rogerian argument essay surrounding the topic of advertisement on the moon, aka "moonvertising", and I was wondering if I could have some advice or pointers on creating this.

In this argument, I have to come to a compromise, or a common grounds at the end.

I have several points for both sides of the argument already; marketers will benefit, it could be used for a good cause/ who would advertise? the US? China? and what would they advertise?

What would be a compromise that an audience could agree on in the argument regarding moon advertisement and whether this should be allowed or not?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Arguments for: Sorry, I can't see any. "Marketers will benefit" hardly seems like a strong argument -- an entity that belongs to nobody (and therefore everybody) ought to be defaced so that a small number of profiteers can make more profits? I don't see how that is an argument that would convince anybody other than marketers. So, you're left with: It could be used for a good cause, e.g., teaching everybody on the planet how to use condoms in order to avoid the spread of HIV.

Arguments against: Could start wars over access. Would certainly hasten global warming due to the extreme greenhouse gas emissions associated with rocket lift-offs. Would surely contribute to the growing "space junk" problem. Defaces an entity considered sacred by a number of faiths (sort of like putting up a McDonalds on the Dome of the Rock.)

In a Rogerian argument, you don't come up with a compromise. Instead, you find common ground on which everybody agrees. On abortion, for example, there is no compromise possible. However, all sides agree that unplanned pregnancies are unfortunate happenings. Furthermore, no unplanned pregnancies means (virtually) no demand for abortion, making the controversy essentially moot. Therefore, the Rogerian argument is that all sides should work together to end unplanned pregnancies.

So, the question becomes: What would both opponents and proponents of moonvertising agree? Is there something that, based on this agreement, could be done to make the moonvertising controversy moot?

Home / Essays / Rogerian Argument essay on "moonvertising?"