Select a developmental or psychological theory/perspective; how to structure it?

elzbietabielec 3 / 5  
just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction, my assignment title is:

SELECT A DEVELOPMENTAL OR PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORY/PERSPECTIVE THAT HELPS YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF PEOPLE AND THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES AND INFORMS YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE IN A MULTI-CULTURAL SOCIETY. SUMMARISE THE MAIN FEATURES OF THE THEORY AND OUTLINE ITS STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSESS. DISCUSS WITH EXAMPLES THE WAYS THE THEORY HAS APPLICATIONS FOR SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE.

I have opted to write about Attachment Theory,

Also any pointers on how to structure the essay?

Cheers

Liz
You would craft a thesis, that will probably end up being something along the lines of "Attachment theory is especially useful for X, Y, and Z in social work practice, but weak at A, B, and C." Then your essay would talk about the points you have listed, in the order you listed them, so that your thesis statement acts as sort of a miniature outline. That will likely give you a structure of

Intro
Summary of theory
Advantages
- Advantage I
- Advantage II
- Advantage III
Disadvantages
- Disadvantage I
- Disadvantage II
- Disadvantage III
Conclusion

That seems to be what the instructions are calling for, at any rate.
If I remember correctly, a big part of it is the building of a strong attachment to serve as a strong base. A strong attachment enables children to also be strong in their exploration. If this or similarly profound insights are involved in what you are writing about, it would be good to use if as a driving force for your essay. So, in addition to the structure provided by Sean, you might want to take a meaningful concept and use it as the "theme" for your project.
If you give a brief summary of attachment theory, and of your preliminary ideas on how it connects to social work, we might be able to give you more detailed feedback.

Home / Essays / Select a developmental or psychological theory/perspective; how to structure it?