My "sense of being Irish" - how to approach this essay?

spine2008 1 / 1  
I was asked to write a essay on "the sense of being Irish" and am unsure as to how this should be approached. Should i write from my own experiences or from a narrative /short story way. I am quite sure the rest of my class will write from their experiences and I would like to stand out as this essay counts for 40% of my year grade.

PLEASE HELP
nishabala 4 / 91  
Alright. This is my attempt at helping. I's so far from Irish it isn't even funny, but I've written things about being of Indian origin, so this is what I thought of.

This is one of those essays you can't rationalize, I think. Write whatever first comes to your mind, and then work on it stylistically. Don't overthink it, or it may not be as good as it can be.

Writing a short story/narrative piece can be an inspired choice, because it can become intensely personal. What you could do, which I think may work, would be to write about something that's happened to you or someone you know in an unusually form of writing (example: use second person, especially if an event almost every person in Ireland goes through).

Writing about your culture gives ou the opportunity to use some self depracating humor; Poke a little fun at the Irish! Just make your true feelings(hopefully a positive feeling about your culture) shine through at the end.

Hope I helped!
OP spine2008 1 / 1  
Thanks I will try and incorporate this style to my essay

Home / Essays / My "sense of being Irish" - how to approach this essay?