Similarities between myself and any vegetable

Elmy Jahan 1 / -  
Hello...i am Elmy. I have just joined 2day. so this would be my very first message! anyway i have a huge assignment pending,its a compare and contrast essay and the topic is ' similarities between myself and any vegetable'!! See, i am so not a creative writer. I have not written any English paper since my O'Levels. I literally have no clue about what am i gonna write!! So i would be really glad if any of you can help. Thank you.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
What a creative topic! I like your teacher.

Let's get started, then: As a first step you could either:
(a)Choose a random vegetable. Jot down anything you can think of about this vegetable. Think of how those things are like or not like you.

(b) List as many vegetables as you can. Look at the list. Which is most like or unlike you? Why? Jot down as many ideas as you can.
Liebe 1 / 542 2  
This reminds me of UChicago lol...

Anyways.

Shrek voice: Onions have layers

If you are lazy, then perhaps you can even draw upon the topic of being a 'couch potato'.

If you are cool, then you can compare yourself to a cucumber. (Yes, from the god awful simile, 'cool like a cucumber'.)

Best idea, as Simone suggested, come up with similarities between yourself and the vegetable. I guess the easiest similarities to spot would be physical ones, such as small and round, or long etc..
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Really, you could reference any aspect of the vegetable. Because I am a gardener, my mind tends to turn toward things such as likes a lot of sun, grows year round, bolts in the summer, needs lots of water, likes sandy soil, needs space, stays low to the ground, lives underground, reaches for the sky etc., etc. Coming from a cook's perspective, one could talk about the taste or the versatility (or lack thereof) of a vegetable. From the nutritional standpoint, some vegetables have more to offer than others.
And of course, you don't have to limit yourself entirely to one perspective. Given that the essay seems as much an exercise in using your imagination as in mastering a particular essay format, you could try to touch on as many different aspects of your chosen vegetable as possible. Be careful, though, that you choose something that most people agree is a vegetable. The term is not a precise, scientific one. Tomatoes, for instance, while commonly cited as being "a fruit, not a vegetable," are in fact, for tax purposes in the U.S., vegetables, and many cooks lump mushrooms in with "veggies," even though they are not, scientifically speaking, plants at all.
CalamityJane 1 / 13  
This seems like a really cool essay topic. I could easily see myself as an eggplant. For shape reasons and because I consider myself withdrawn like the deep purple color. But I'm not bitter. Okay so my version is very simple, but that is how I get in touch with the subject. I try to relate some element of myself and then it gets easier.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
This thread is fun! I think we should all say what vegetables we are like and why. I've got to think on that one...
OW! I can see that I'm going to end up biting my tongue right off before we're done with this thread . . .
john6503 9 / 27  
It's an interesting topic actually. As far as I'm concerned, both human and vegetable consume water as a main resource for survival and need sun light(even though human don't use photosynthesis.)
Lol! That would hilarious. Instead of treating it as an exercise in metaphorical thinking, actually do a scientific comparison between yourself and a vegetable. I imagine that at least some parts of the genetic code would be similar, some of the biochemistry (humans and vegetables do exist in the same ecosystem, after all), and so on. It also works better with the actual phrasing of the prompt, which is "similarities between myself and any vegetable"
CalamityJane 1 / 13  
Awesome! Not to mention the fact that the english teacher's head would spin from all of the scientific jargon.

Elmy, did you ever discover what vegetable you resemble most? I find that some people come across as carrots or celery. I had a friend that could easily be a green bean (string bean).

Simone, what did you come up with?
I wonder if you are limited to actual vegetables, or if you can use imaginary ones, too. The prompt does say "any vegetable" after all, and choosing a sci-fi or fantasy one might yield some imaginative results.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Simone, what did you come up with?

First, let me say that I can't quit thinking of Sean as an artichoke.

Me, I'm most like a dandelion.

Wait! Don't object that they are flowers or herbs. Dandelion greens are enjoyed by many southerners in the US every spring and are even cultivated in French vegetable gardens. The young greens are nice tossed into salads; older greens taste great braised and dressed with vinegar. They're very nutritious! The flowers are edible too. (I put them into "flower power" salads.) Dandelion jelly is also quite nice and can serve as a substitute for honey.

Why dandelions? First, I identify with them so strongly that I wince when I hear those "we hate dandelions" pesticide commercials on TV. And, indeed the people who tend to hate dandelions and pour poisons on their lawns to kill them tend not to like people like me.

Next, I'm weedy. I get along just about anywhere, just as they can grow in any soil and even in the cracks in concrete. We are similar not only in our adaptability but also our persistence.

Next, like them, I have my showy side, but the things that people notice about me may not be my most significant qualities. Similarly, people think about the flashy yellow flowers, not necessarily noticing the nutrients in those deep green leaves or the medicinal benefits in those deep roots.

Finally, as the dandelion does its seeds, I like to distribute my ideas widely, not much caring whether they are attributed to me.

Lol! I'm going to assume you mean that I would make an attractive addition to any social gathering, much as the artichoke is added to many different types of gardens to capitalize on its bright foliage.

I'm most like a dandelion

Dandelion greens are enjoyed by many southerners in the US every spring

I don't think you really thought that one all the way through before posting . . .
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

Actually, I was thinking about getting past the prickly exterior to the surprisingly nice center.
Hey! Under many my layers of jaded cynicism lies the heart of jaded cynic. I figured the prickly exterior was in there somewhere, though. :-)
jokichrun 2 / 3  
If i were you i would use my most favorite vegitable!

Home / Essays / Similarities between myself and any vegetable