"a social worker at a public school working with a family" - ETHICAL DILEMMA

thomoct38 1 / -  
You're a social worker at a public school and have been working with a family that has multiple problems. Two of the Children are in special education programs for the emotionally disturbed. The mother has occasionally been hospitalized for emotional problems. The father has been investigated for child abuse by protective services in the past. Mother and father are having marital problems and are presently separated. The father comes to your office and demands to see a copy of the school's records on his children and his family.
ws24 1 / 2  
I would guess that due to the fact that the father wasnt convicted of any child abuse charges and is a legal guardian, the father has the right to view the records.
Two of the Children are in special education programs for

Children should not be capitalized here.

Moya, are you having trouble understanding the text? If you are an English language learner, it can be so difficult! Tell us if you find a sentence that is hard to understand.

I don't know how the rules work for school social workers, but I suspect that the purpose of this question is to teach you to be objective and nonjudgmental. Does that give you a hint about how to answer the question?

Even though you might want to judge someone, you have to be professional, objective, and open-minded. That is what is so hard about being a social worker!

Home / Essays / "a social worker at a public school working with a family" - ETHICAL DILEMMA