Today's society is a dangerous society; English oral essay about consumer society

district12 1 / -  
"Today's society is a dangerous society. People would lie, cheat and stole from you just to make money.
In a way, I think that the consumer society has a bad effect on people. United States of America represent this kind of society very well because it was born there. American companies target people and make them believe that they need to buy a thing so they do so and it would only makes them feel good for a certain amount of time. Then it would disappear. Americans are brainwashed into believing that they "need" that one thing even though this is just something they want, not need. They usually want it to fit it. They feel like they have to fill thoses "needs" to be fullfiled but the problem is that they're never REALLY fullfieled.

Sometimes this need to buy lots of things to be fullfiled causes people troubleS. A lot of americans get into debt because of shopping and indirectally because of the consumer society.

Others get obese because of that same society : they eat lots and lots of junk food and they end up obese. It is this way because american people are used to outrageousness and they've succomb to temptation so many times that they just used to act this way.

Some other people realize that they should've resist to consumer society when it's too late. For example, some people who were diagnosist lunges cancer made complaints against tabacco compagnies and the Supreme court recognized that the compagnies were guilty and sentenced them to pay $1.09 million to the plaignent.

Very quickly, the consumer society grew offshore and markets appeared all over the world. Because of globalization, the markets are constantly growing and emphasizing on the growth of america's economics. It represents a source of so many incomes for american companies. Jeans, computers, sodas, cellphones, clothes... So many things that represent the usa offshore and that people buy all over the world.

You can even purchase merchandise from your home computer or any computer that has internet. Internet shopping has resulted in an over all total of over 20 billion dollars in credit card debt for Americans. Its success can be explained by the fact that it is very simple : all you have to do is type what you want to purchase, put your credit card number then just wait for your purchased merchandise to be delivered.

We can say that there's a negative aspect about that because it creates discrimination. Ideed, you need to have a little money to be a part of it. Otherwise you cannot consume. There's also an other side effect of consumer society : the banks try to take part inTO this, and they make you consume even though you don't have any money. It is the case of the revolving credit : the banks give you a credit card that you can use whenever you want. The thing is you'll have to give the money back. This explains de enormous debt I talked about earlier. Despite the lack of means, consumer society push people to consume.

As a conclusion, I'd say that consumerism is an inevitable trend due to society's evolution. It is the source of both benefits and drawbacks. "

Can you just tell me if it is well written? This is an oral exposé I have to do. It has to last at least 3 minutes. Thank you!
United States of America represents this kind of society very well because it was born there.

American companies target people and make them believe that they need to buy a thing so they do so and it would only makes them feel good for a certain amount of time.

.... this sentence lacks clarity. You need to improve its presentation.
American companies target people and influence them to consume products which may really not be essential for them. However, the consumer would be fed up of such products after sometime. .... I hope this is the idea you wanted to deliver.

Sometimes this need to buy lots of things to be fullfiled causes people troubleS.

... this sentence too is pretty confusing. What do you try to mean by this statement?

Home / Essays / Today's society is a dangerous society; English oral essay about consumer society