How to start an essay on The Merchant Of Venice...?

FallenSanityx 1 / -  
The essay is based on whether we think Shylock is portrayed as a victim or as a villain in the society he lives in.

How do you start an essay like this?

Thanks!
x

~*FallenSanityx*~
Gautama 6 / 133  
Well first you have to ask yourself: Do I think Shylock is portrayed as a victim or as a villian? The answer to that question is the first part of your thesis statement.

Second you have to ask yourself: Why do I think that and what evidence do I have to support such a claim? The answer to that question is the second part of your thesis statement.

So, a simplistic way of presenting a thesis here would be:

Shylock is portrayed as a _______ in the society he lives in because of _______, _______, and ______.

From there you can make your body paragraphs about each of the main reasons you have for thinking he is a victim or a villian and the evidence you have to support these main reasons. You will probably want to include and analyze textual evidence from the play to support specific claims that you make as well.

Show us what you have after that. Or better yet try just writing the intro paragraph (include your thesis statement and a sentence or two on the main ideas of each body paragraph as well as a strong opening hook should you deem it neccessary) and we can take a look at it.
You don't necesarily have to writew the intro paragraph first. Write a body paragraph to explain how he is a victim (or villain, whatever you choose). Then write another body paragraph explaining your truth from a different angle. Perhaps quote the book. Then write another body paragraph explaining your truth from yet another angle. Finally, go back and look at the main points you made. Following Tyler's advice, write the intro para with thesis statement.

At the end, wrap it up with a reflective conclusion paragraph.

Note: Many villains are also victims, and vise versa.
You can of course always challenge the question. Perhaps he is portrayed as both, or perhaps he is portrayed as someone who is a villain because he is a victim. After all, Jews were forced into the money-lending profession because usury went against Christian teachings. So, Christians couldn't lend money at interest, but still wanted to borrow money, so they essentially forced the Jewish merchants to lend to them. This, ironically, ended up forcing them into very lucrative positions, but also very dangerous ones. Try to be creative in your literary analysis.

Home / Essays / How to start an essay on The Merchant Of Venice...?